Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Windows Media Player Cannot Play the File"    (Read 3014 times)

K-_in_Virginia

"Windows Media Player Cannot Play the File"  
« on: June 21, 2006, 07:38:52 PM »
Hello,

I need help.  When I try to use Media Player, a box comes up saying"Windows Media Player cannot play the file.  If the file is located on the Internet, connect to the Internet.  If the file is on removable storage card, insert the storage card."

I have tried everything.  AOL sent me a list of things to do, and I have done that.  I am on AOL, when trying to play the Media Player.

I recently signed on to Verizon Broadband.  I did not have this problem prior to that, however- when I originally signed up for Media Player, it took me a long time and much assistance to reach success.

This is so frustrating, as I spent hours and hours getting onto Broadband, then I could not get on to AOL, then I spent hours working on that.  Now I have spent hours working on this without success.

I hope someone can help me.  Thanks for your time and assistance.

K- in Virginia

Damnation

Re: "Windows Media Player Cannot Play the File"  
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 02:53:13 AM »
Could you maybe elaborate a bit more, exactly what happens when you do what? What are you trying to play? Is it a movie or music on your hard drive or are you streaming from the internet? If its a movie you are trying to watch, maybe you don't have the right codecs installed.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: "Windows Media Player Cannot Play the File"  
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 07:34:34 AM »
Your post is confusing.  You are "on AOL" and you recently "signed on to Verizon Broadband."  What, exactly, is your Internet Service Provider?  

And, what do you mean by "signed up for Media Player"?  I use Windows Media Player but I never "signed up" or it.  I use it because it's on all Windows computers.

What versions of Windows are you using?  What version of Windows Media Player?  What was the "list of things to do" that AOL sent you?  

Can you play a music CD using Media Player?  When you insert a music CD in your CD drive, what happens?  

What do you want to use Media Player for?  Music from CD's?  Music downloaded from the Internet?  Movies on DVD?  Online content for Music, Movies, Entertainment, Radio, Current Events, etc?