Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: response to prompt  (Read 7188 times)

confusedbycomputer

response to prompt
« on: June 23, 2006, 01:51:55 PM »
I just reinstalled OS and Windows98; now computer shows "C:\WINDOWS>". What should I type to get to the desktop?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: response to prompt
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 02:41:17 PM »
    Type win & hit enter.

confusedbycomputer

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 03:04:21 PM »
    I typed "win" and pressed enter. The computer restarted and now asks :Please insert  the diskette for MS-DOS Prompt in drive A...   what disk is it asking for?

confusedbycomputer

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 03:12:09 PM »
    I have the following: "UNIVERSAL BOOT DISK"; Microsoft Office xp Professional; the HelpSpot!;Gateway System Restoration CD; Microsoft Office2000 Small Business;Microsoft virtual machine; Microsoft Windows98;--they are all legal copies and I have the certificates for each

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 03:36:42 PM »
    How did you install this? The Windows 98 disk is all that you should need initially. It should be self booting when the machine is restarted. I suspect you installed something from anotther CD or are just booting from this Universal boot disk that you probably don't need.

So try this and post back what happened.

confusedbycomputer

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 04:13:34 PM »
    I turned the computer off and restarted it. The C:\WINDOWS> showed up again; so, I typed "win."
    Then the message I receive is: "You are currently running in MS-DOS mode. Do you want to return to normal mode, to run Windows applications again [Enter=Y, Esc=N}?
    What should I do now?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 04:15:56 PM »
    Are you running from Windows 3.1 or something REALLY old?

Press "Y"
    Pressing "Y" will bring you back to the Windows OS, instead of MSDOS.

confusedbycomputer

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 04:25:57 PM »
    The screen says it it Microsoft Windows 98. I pressed "Y" and the computer restarted and then came back with the same screen=telling me to insert the diskette for MS-DOS Prompt  and press any key to continue. I just toggle back and forth between that message and the C:\ screen. I'm not getting anywhere.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 05:10:27 PM »
    Does it make a difference which CD is in the drive when it restarts?

confusedbycomputer

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 05:30:13 PM »
    No difference.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 07:28:51 PM »
    If all CD's produce the same message, then you are no doubt  booting off the hard drive instead of the CD.  Can you get into the BIOS and set the machine  to boot from CD first? The correct key to get there should be onscreen when the computer starts.

confusedbycomputer

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 08:05:15 PM »
     I ran the Startup Disk for Windows 98. It gave me the option to go to a help screen.
    "The Startup Disk has changed significantly for Windows 98. The following items are new for Windows 98. -Multi-config start menu, real-mode cd-rom drivers, ebd.cab file, ramdrive, windows 98 startup problems, using the tools available on the startup disk"

will the answer be in any of the above?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 08:42:07 PM »
    I have the following: "UNIVERSAL BOOT DISK"; [highlight]Microsoft Office xp Professional[/highlight]; the HelpSpot!;Gateway System Restoration CD; Microsoft Office2000 Small Business;Microsoft virtual machine; Microsoft Windows98;--they are all legal copies and I have the certificates for each
    Is the Microsoft Office XP Professional an Operating System?
    If it is, why don't you install that?

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 08:55:50 PM »
    Office is a separate application and not on the same CD as Windows ever that I have seen.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 12:49:31 AM »
    Looks like there is a problem with the DOS installation on this hard drive.  Possibly the autoexec.bat and config.sys files are wrong.

If you can boot from a Windows boot disk, then go to the A drive (type A: [enter]) then type "sys c:" [enter].  That should ensure that DOS is installed on your hard drive (needed for Win 98).

You can display the contents of the two files I mentioned by typing the following (e.g.) "cd \ [enter] type autoexec.bat".  Can you tell us what is in those files?  Do you get any errors?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos