Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: selecting pictures with the control key ( not work  (Read 6080 times)

hilli

Topic Starter

Rookie
    selecting pictures with the control key ( not work
    « on: June 23, 2006, 04:36:23 PM »
    I am unable to select random pictures while pressing the control key. it seems to grab everything in its path!! diagonal or otherwise.  this happens in explorer as well as photoshop.
    this is my laptop, centrino 1.4 ghz, windows XP pro

I don't use the laptop much, just for slideshow presentations and photoshop tutorials. its a year old and has a 3 year warranty.
    is this a windows problem or something I've done?

my friends think I may have accidentally set some other function to that key, but I have no idea where to look.

pcdoc4christ

Re: selecting pictures with the control key ( not
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 08:15:39 PM »
    Hilli:

Are you using a wireless USB mouse or the laptop's touchpad?  Are you sure you are not using the Shift key?

Doc
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 08:18:19 PM by pcdoc4christ »

hilli

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 08:46:56 PM »
      hello out there! thanks for coming to my rescue! nope, not using the shift key.  I am using a usb laptop mouse... and it happens with both of my wacom tablets, with mouse or pen.
      I've been searching all night on the web for answers... I deactived sticky keys.. I tried using a list or icon mode then holding the shift key while opening the thumbnail mode.... ( found that re: missing file names, ..don't have that problem)
      I have deactivated the keypad, and reactivated the touchpad.... it does the same thing! I have reset all the clicks and speeds many times.   the frustration level is high!    I have tried squirming the cursor up between the pics hoping it won't touch any of them.
      I do have the cursor set for one click, and it highlights the file by just passing over, no click.
      my desktop is set up that way with no problems...I use the control key all the time!
      I sure hope somebody can solve this mystery.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 08:55:53 PM »
      I had the same problem with a desktop computer.  It took me what seemed forever to figure out the Shift key was sticking.  Replacing the keyboard fixed the problem.  That's not an option with a laptop, but you might want to have a qualified repair tech take a look at your laptop's keyboard.

Doc

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 12:37:14 AM »
      To figure out whether or not the laptop's keyboard is at fault, try the laptop with an external keyboard.  Do you get the same behaviour?
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

hilli

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 07:12:29 AM »
        thanks for those two suggestions.  I will give them a try.  it seems so silly sice I have used this thing so seldom.

the laptop keyboard isn't impossible to replace!!! the acer factory/repair depot is only a few kilometeres from here.... they replaced a keyboard on my friends identical laptop as we watched.!
        I still have this on warranty, but at least now I might not be so embarassed to ask them to look at it.

someone suggested it was a windows glitch, not an 'acer '  problem.

I will try the different keyboard thing first!

great forum! thanks guys!    

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 10:29:47 AM »
        thanks for those two suggestions...someone suggested it was a windows glitch, not an 'acer '  problem...

URW. :)

I think the root of the problem is the four-letter word you mentioned (the one that begins with the letter A).  Many users of Acer computers often have reason to get angry and start spouting other four-letter words!

Doc
        « Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 10:30:13 AM by pcdoc4christ »

hilli

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 12:02:32 PM »
           [smiley=laugh.gif]   figures! it had all kinds of trouble at the beginning, they finally changed the hard drive and the battery and it has been working other than this.
          a friend has had nothing but great luck with hers,,, 3 years running no problem except she wore out and broke her keyboard, thats why the replacement! it is her only computer and she uses it bigtime!
          Acer makes Dell..... won't buy dell either!
          I got the lemon! :'(

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 02:03:54 PM »
          Where did you get the information that Acer makes Dell? I don't believe that is the case.

http://www.forbes.com/business/global/2005/1128/026A.html
          « Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 04:12:46 PM by GX1_Man »

hilli

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 03:32:34 PM »
            oops, sorry if I stepped out of line~  I got the info from something I read when i was looking to buy Acer that I had never heard of.
            Also, the tech that serviced it said that they serviced all the dells in Canada!     i guess it was a wrong assumption.
            I would be forward enough to claim I didn't buy dell becasue of the cost...and I went by recommendation of an acer /same model/ user.

now, who can fix it???  ;)

hilli

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 12:31:15 PM »

AHA!! PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!
              I finally took it to the shop, and luckily one of the techs knew what the problem was!!  In the folder options I had set it up for 'one click' like my desktop, but apparently it doesn't work that way in a laptop...
              unclicked it, and now everything works tickety-boo, except that I have to double click.
              what a pain!

Viva la ACER!!!!!!

ps: acer doesn't 'make' computers for dell, but they do supply some lower end models to certain companies , one that starts with the letter "D"    yep!, you guessed it!  :-X ;D

Fed

• Sage
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 12:42:00 PM »
                The single click option is for girls.

hilli

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 01:30:36 PM »
                   :P ::)  ;D     SO????

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 06:53:43 PM »
                  Acer sells a LOT of computers worldwide. Where is a link for the "D" maker they build for?
                  « Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 07:01:38 PM by GX1_Man »

hilli

Topic Starter

Rookie
                    « Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 08:29:57 PM »
                    I have no idea, I just got it from the horse's mouth. :)    they also make some ibm stuff.. other companies add their logo.  some of their models are being made in china now.   they don't make all models for other companies.

whether they make it or assemble it I have no idea.  even the car manufacturers make pieces for other companies.
                     all I care about is that my laptop works!!!!