Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dust + Overheating computer??  (Read 2926 times)

Premier

Dust + Overheating computer??
« on: June 23, 2006, 05:32:20 PM »
I have a couple of questions.  I was reading on the GeekSquad.com website and it stated that dust can be a major problem for a pc, restricting airflow and causing the processor and harddrive to overheat.  I think that I have this problem.  When I'm using my pc I hear what I thought was the fan working on warp speed and then at times my pc just resets on its own.  This happens everyday no matter if it's really cold in my room or what no.  So my questions are as follow:

1)  Is my problem repairable?
2)  What would be an approximate cost to replace the faulty parts in my pc
3)  Is it worth it to replace the parts and buy a new pc.  Considering that my pc is about 2 or 3 years  old.

Thank You  ;D

Arc

Hopeful

Re: Dust + Overheating computer??
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 06:13:04 PM »
    1.   yes, you just need to clean out your computer, and maybe add another fan/cooling unit
    2.  an approx. cost, would depend on if anything is damged or not
    3.  what kind of computer do you have, and how fat is your CPU, how much ram do you have, and how big is your hard drive?
    You've got to stop taking life so seriously;

or you'll never make it out alive

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 07:11:36 PM »
    A good cleaning just costs a a little time and a can of compressed air.  Don't blow  air into  a fan witthout preventing the blades from turning. I wouldn't consider a  new PC a necessity at this time.
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 07:13:59 PM by GX1_Man »

Dead_reckon

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 08:03:51 PM »
    also, beware when using cans of air! if you tilt it to far it will spray out the liquid inside the can, that, would not be good

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 08:18:45 PM »
      You could download & run Everest to see what your temps are, you may (probably) have other problems causing this.

Premier

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 11:55:35 AM »
      Thanx for all the info everyone.  I downloaded everest and saw the temperature but I don't know if it's good or bad or what.  Motherboard temp 104f, CPU 133f, Aux 102f.  Is that normal or what?  Thanx again

Arc

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 10:57:09 PM »
        those tempatures are normal for your computer, so you should be set, just be sure that tehre isn't dust build up in the computers fans/heatsink/ect. and you should be fine

Viper
        You've got to stop taking life so seriously;

or you'll never make it out alive

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 12:03:36 AM »
          When I'm using my pc I hear what I thought was the fan working on warp speed and then at times my pc just resets on its own.
          So the problem remains?

1) Use Everest to tell us some more details about your computer.
          2) Ensure your computer is clean by scanning at both of the following links.

Online Virus Scan and Spyware Scan
          http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

Highly recommended second Online Malware Scan
          http://www.ewido.net/en/

Premier

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 06:34:48 AM »
          I think I saw the problem while using Everest.  When I hear the computer overheat I saw the cooling fans RPM jumped from 900 to over 2000 and the chassis from 2500 to over 5000rpm.  Does that mean that i should replace the fan?

EssentiaTech

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 09:24:36 AM »
          If the computer is running hot, then increased fan speed sounds like normal behavior.  After all, your fans are made to spin faster when needed.  The question is "why is your computer running hot in the first place?"  

Dead_reckon

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 03:46:22 PM »
          find a way to make the fans spin faster all of the time... my computer would get to 120 bc of lack of cooling, i just set my BIOS to make the fan target 30c and it spins a about 4700 - 5000 rpm's, still only keeps it at 110f though...

EDIT: i forgot to mention... cleaning dust out of my computer helped alot... but, what i ended up doing was removing the side panels and operating it without them, dropped my case about 10 degrees
          « Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 03:51:09 PM by Dead_reckon »