Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transfering Programs To New Exterior Hard Drive  (Read 3855 times)

redryder

Transfering Programs To New Exterior Hard Drive
« on: September 03, 2004, 03:01:19 PM »
I would like some advice about how to transfer programs such as my jukeboxes and music to a new external hard drive and then uninstall or delete them from my internal drive.

merlin_2

Re: Transfering Programs To New Exterior Hard Driv
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 03:15:18 PM »
you could do the following drag and drop the files on to your har drive  burn them to cd/rw disks or clone your hardrive..more info if needed>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q306187   and wipe your hard drive with a win98/se boot disk using format c:...

chade

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 06:14:46 PM »
There might be a way around it that I'm not aware of - but it's a bad idea to move *programs* to an external hard drive.  Programs usually register their location with the Windows registry - I'm really not sure how this will work with an external drive - my immediate thought is that it's not a very good idea.

Your music however, mp3/wav/ogg or otherwise can just be drag and dropped to the new hard disk - you'll just need to point your jukebox program at the new location, and any library setup you may have for your music may be disrupted by this move and may need to be rebuilt.  An inconvenience, but one you'll get over I'm sure.

Give that your music is likely to take up several hundred, if not thousand times more space than your music program, this should solve your space problem on your internal drive.

johnwill

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 06:24:12 PM »
I don't think installing applications on an external drive is a very good plan, I sure don't recommend it.  Putting data on the drive is fine...  Of course, you are planning on having backups of the data, right?  Perhaps you should just use the external drive for backup...  ::)