Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AMD or Pentium  (Read 5893 times)

Jim Storms

AMD or Pentium
« on: September 03, 2004, 09:41:03 AM »
I'm considering buying a new computer and I'm noticing that computers with AMD processors are cheaper than the ones with Pentium processors.  How do they compare?  I use an AutoCad program, so math and graphics performance are critical.  Thanks.

Raptor

Re: AMD or Pentium
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 10:05:21 AM »
I'd go for Pentium. AMD runs far too hot for my liking.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 01:25:29 PM »
i would say the same ......that maybe the reason why american mirco devices are cheap...heat or some say they are overclocked as well...intel is best...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 01:26:12 PM by merlin_2 »

chade

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 03:37:43 PM »
It's completely incorrect to write off AMD processors as 'hotter' than Intel ones, or as 'overclocked' at the factory.

Both Intel and AMD produce many different types of processor - some of these run hotter than others, due to the speed they run at, the manufacturing process, and sheer luck.  It also helps to have an appropriate cooling solution strapped to your processor.

Regarding the 'overclocking' of processors - a processor is given a speed rating at the factory (eg, 2.4GHz is a speed rating for an Intel processor, 2400+ is the roughly equivalent speed rating for an AMD processor) and the processor is locked at the factory to run at that speed.

Overclocking literally means running something at a speed faster than which it has been manufactured for, which in the case of processors can only be done in a built system - the speed a processor runs at is controlled by the motherboard it is sitting in (although the processor may limit this speed - factory locking of processors is almost universal).

As a particular processor design has been manufactured for longer, we tend to see the speed of processors produced increase as the company (AMD or Intel) refines and tweaks the manufacturing process.  In cases where there isn't the demand for as many high speed processors, we can actually find that the manufacturer will take a processor that can run at say 2.8GHz and lock it at a lower speed and sell it as a 2.4GHz processor.  This can, with particular model processors, give the consumer an excellent chance to overclock their processor and obtain a better processor for the same price.

I'd be buying the processor which gives me better value for my money - and this will depend on how much you're willing to spend, and what you're going to do with it.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004, 03:57:06 PM »
its seems you answered  my question on amd...i rest my case...to sell anything in the world marketing is best to say is the best...amd are the cheapo version  of intel and still will be  to compete with intel....there are only two so far..you must be using amd pcu to state these facts..?but who has the edge...and how is best...before you judge get the facts...in other words you would overclock the cpu..which just proves my point...speed why its an issue in EVERYTHING....trying to beat the clock of time...forget it >>>>>>>>its a lost cause in history whaty does anybody gain by saving TIME  nothing !!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 04:02:16 PM by merlin_2 »

chade

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 05:30:05 PM »
Merlin,

What on Earth is that supposed to mean?

For God's sake, learn to use some punctuation and state arguments with just a wee bit of clarity - I cannot even tell what the *censored* you are on about.

You seem to be saying that I presented a lay down misere argument that AMD were inferior processors - I'd really like to know what part of my post in any way even inferred that, let alone argued for it.

In short, post something that isn't incoherent babble, so at least someone has the opportunity to respond.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004, 05:46:05 PM »
so what you are saying is that when i talk to people i say whoops i forgot to say there should have been a full stop comma...off topic what is the difference..between typing and text....moblie phone script suit you better like lol...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 05:46:43 PM by merlin_2 »

chade

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2004, 05:55:48 PM »
I was trying to point out that your post was a direct response to mine, claiming somehow that what I had said supported your wild assertions.  

I was trying to say that I'd like to know how, but have been completely unable to decipher your post due to its complete lack of structure, argument and direction.  It rambles and seems to go nowhere, but draws wild conclusions along the way.

Would you care to elaborate?  I've read it a good twenty times, and still can't work out how you reach your conclusions.

I'm not a mind reader, Merlin.  Unless you communicate effectively, what you are trying to say will remain a mystery...

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2004, 06:18:42 PM »
how dare you sir  m_2.......I'm not a mind reader, Merlin.  Unless you communicate effectively, what you are trying to say will remain a mystery....chade
no an enigma....m_2
-----------------------------------------------------------------------So what have you got  to prove that amd cpu are better than intel  show me the benchmarks of  amd /intel and why amd are so good..you  must have got one of them to reply to this post...i also have amd in  some my pcs...
typed as thought!!! and it all depends on other variations like mobo-ram etc...
------------------------------------------------------------------------typed in english of course.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 06:27:52 PM by merlin_2 »

chade

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2004, 06:49:53 PM »
how dare you sir

I wouldn't like to assume particularly what you're objecting to.  Elaborate for me.

what have you got  to prove that amd cpu are better than intel  show me the benchmarks of  amd /intel and why amd are so good

Try this one for starters:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

But I wouldn't rely too much on benchmarks.  It's really not about who produces the fastest processor - it's about getting some value for money for the consumer. I really don't think Jim will give a toss about what benchmark scores a $1,000 processor can produce for him if all he wants is a solid platform to do his work at a reasonable price.

I think you're a little hung up on Intel there Merlin.  You seem unwilling to even contemplate that some other manufacturer may produce something that is better value for money (or god forbid, just a better processor outright).

you  must have got one of them to reply to this post

Yes, the current computer I'm working on has an AMD processor.  That's not why I replied to this post.  I replied because the information that you and Raptor provided regarding AMD processors is simply wrong.  I thought Jim might appreciate knowing that.

You're also implying that I'm in some way biased towards AMD (or against Intel).  Neither is the case.  Just because my current main machine has an AMD doesn't mean I wouldn't buy Intel the next time *if* it suited me.  That would be a balanced analysis of price vs performance.  For your information, I have another three computers.  Out of the four total, two are AMD and two are Intel.

i also have amd in  some my pcs

I'm really at a loss to explain what seems to be a wild bout of AMD-bashing then.

typed as thought!!!

Obviously.  You really don't seem to get that structuring proper sentences and paragraphs assists other people in determining exactly what you're saying, and why.  Either that or you really don't care.

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2004, 06:55:56 PM »
ok that you personal view on the subject** but what advice can you offer the poster >
 AMD or Pentium
« on: Sep 3rd, 2004, 9:41am »  Quote  Modify  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm considering buying a new computer and I'm noticing that computers with AMD processors are cheaper than the ones with Pentium processors.  How do they compare?  I use an AutoCad program, so math and graphics performance are critical.  Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------Merlin_2 >just add this post should be thrown in the bin were it belongs and  it got a bit childish this adds-up is a a matter of choice..and what you expect you cpu to do---
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 07:03:38 PM by merlin_2 »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2004, 07:34:37 PM »
    Jim Storms.....Well given that you use C.A.D. I would be inclined to go with the Pentium 4 with HT technology. You require power for CAD.......Now after saying that I should point out that there is nothing wrong with AMD...The top end AMD Athlon64FX is called the Worlds best pc processor ( by AMD) . If you look at either Intel or AMD you will see that there is multiple models of what appear to be similar processors .....each with differant specs and price .......so if your comparing .......do your homework ........talk to users and then make a decision. I have a Intel P3 in one pc and a AMD Athlon in the other ......They both work just fine ...but the Intel seems to have more power even though the AMD is rated as a much faster processor......
    As far as operating temperature is concerned.......the Amd runs a little hotter than the Intel .....but it is well within the design parameters.
    There that should help you ....lol

Cheers
    dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.