Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Won't recognize CD drives  (Read 8201 times)

jennymae

Re: Won't recognize CD drives
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 06:35:53 AM »
OK check this out.
Got the CD drives working but now what started happening is my computer would work fine for a while then it would start freezing up for about 30 seconds every couple of minutes. I noticed that when it started freezing, the cd drive would then stop working again - light would come on, door not open, not recognized. Being the superstitious type, I thought they might be related so I disconnected the cable to the CD drives, and lo and behold, my computer stopped freezing up. It looks like something having to do with the drives was causing the freezing?

GX1_Man

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 07:48:48 AM »
Were the drives being accessed when the "freezing" occurred?

jennymae

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 09:06:32 AM »
No.

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Re: Won't recognise CD drives
    « Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 09:40:50 AM »
    OK so its got to be related to your CD drives so,

Buy a new one , and get a new Ribbon cable as well

I'm sure if your nice to the store Clerc you can buy a CD-RW drive for like 30Quid and get him to give you a ribbon cable for free
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006, 01:23:54 PM »
    Well no amount of replacement parts (apart from a new motherboard) is going to fix this if the onboard IO controller has died.

"Oil"?  Any kind of conductive liquid inside a PC can cause all sorts of damage and bizarre behaviour.

Before you buy any new gear, it would be best to borrow known working equipment for testing purposes - the CD drive and cables as suggested above, being the first place to start.  Don't worry - your computer's malaise is highly unlikely to spread to the borrowed equipment.

Unless that liquid is, say, hydrochloric acid...
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos