Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Proper way to power down external USB HD  (Read 2809 times)

timrob

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Proper way to power down external USB HD
    « on: June 26, 2006, 01:08:58 PM »
    What is the proper method for powering down and external USB HD with Windows XP Pro?  Is it ok to power down the main computer, then turn off the external USB HD? or Should I always use the Unplug/eject wizard to first disconnect the USB HD, then turn it off?

Is it ok to have the USB hd connected via USB when the main computer is first turned on?

EssentiaTech

Re: Proper way to power down external USB HD
    « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 01:27:28 PM »
    Using the Unplug/Eject wizard is the preferred method for disconnecting USB devices.  This allows Windows time to properly shutdown and disconnect the device, and ensures that all read and write processes have been completed properly.  

To use the wizard, look for an icon in your task bar that resembles a green arrow.  Right click the icon and choose to disconnect a device.  Select the device you wish to disconnect (a HDD in your case) and select disconnect.  

A Note: if the icon is not in your system tray, you probably don't have a USB device plugged in and operational.

timrob

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 02:08:31 PM »
      I understand, but does just shutting down the computer "allow Windows time to properly shutdown and disconnect the device, and ensure that all read and write processes have been completed properly"?

EssentiaTech

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 02:13:23 PM »
      Yes, doing a standard shutdown is fine.  Windows doesn't actually disconnect the USB device during the standard shutdown process, but it does ensure that reading and writing have been completed.  It is not necessary for a user to actually disconnect each USB device before shutting down.

Also, it's generally ok to shutdown your computer (with devices still attached), disconnect the device while the computer is off, and then boot back up.  

timrob

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 02:53:18 PM »
        Thanks.  One of the folders/files on my external HD became corrupt.  Now I can't create any new folders.  I tried to run Windows check disk, but Windows wouldn't finish.  Check disk didn't work for the USB HD when scheduled on a reboot.  I was worried that because I was turning the computer off with out disconnecting the USB HD caused my problem.

I can read the HD fine.  The HD is just for data.  There's currently no useful data on it.  I'll run the disk that came with the HD, or Disk Doctor, and hopefully fix the corrupted files.  If not, I'll just recreate it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 07:32:55 PM »
        I think those external USB drives are flakey, so watch out!

I would recommend using the little icon to stop it first if and when you get anything important on there.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 03:48:20 AM »
        Of course, if necessary, you can format the drive.