Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External HD + Wireless Internet Adapter Not workin  (Read 3038 times)

Hawk_Diesel

External HD + Wireless Internet Adapter Not workin
« on: June 26, 2006, 04:58:44 PM »
Alright, so, just to begin, here are my specs:

HP pavillion a305w
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002, service pack 1
hmmmm... ok, this brings my attention suddenly to another question, but for now, I got 248MB RAM.
Intel Celeron 2.70 GHz

Ok, so first problem. I finally got the internet setup up in my apartment (about 6-7 hours of work total) and then got the wireless router to work (another 2-3 hours). But, after all of that, I still can't quite use the internet! So basically, I got a Wireless USB Adapter for my desktop. Normally, it works fine. That is, until I decide to plug in my External Hard Drive. If I do that, I lose internet. If my hard drive is already plugged in and then I plug the USB Wireless Adapter in, the computer doesn't even recognize the USB device and says there's a malfunction. Its not the USB ports. I've tried them all, in all combinations, not to mention my keyboard, mouse, and technically the external hard drive all work, just not the wireless adapter when the hard drive is plugged in. Also, I don't think its the adapter. That's what I thought at first, and just returned the one I had for a different one. The first one was a linksys, and now the one I got is a netgear. Two different adapters, two different companies, same problem. This leads me to believe it may be a configuration problem or a software problem with the computer itself, but I have no idea how to fix it. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate the help.

Second question: I know this computer came with 512 MB of RAM. Why does it only report 248 MB?

Dead_reckon

Re: External HD + Wireless Internet Adapter Not wo
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 05:13:52 PM »
i have no clue about the wireless problem... mabey a hardware confilct... but as for the ram... you only have one 256 stick apparently, either that or somthing is robbing over 256mb's of your ram

EDIT: i forgot to mention, just buy a internal wirless card, one that runs off of PCI or somthing
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 05:16:26 PM by Dead_reckon »

Hawk_Diesel

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 05:48:51 PM »
Yea, I think I'm just gonna get a PCI adapter. But it turns out someone musta stole a stick of ram outta my computer. I got one of those easy to open computers, and I usually left my dorm room open. It just seems so weird... why would someone steal something like that?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 06:07:04 PM »
It may be a problem with not enough power in the basic USB port to run all of that, or the ports may have problems. In any case, a PCI card sounds like a good choice. I never have been a fan of USB adapters.

Sorry about your missing RAM.  :'(

Dead_reckon

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 06:44:20 PM »
your lucky your entire computer hasnt gone missing