Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Black Screen but works  (Read 3122 times)

erchrist

Black Screen but works
« on: June 27, 2006, 01:41:55 AM »
Odd (at least to me) loss of shell/desktop/gui/whatever.
System info: Built PC, XP-Pro SP-1, P4, 1.8GHz, 1G RAM, Asus motherboard, logitech trackball.  System used for office tasks, light CAD work. 2 & half years old roughly.
Problem = Win seems to start fine, nothing strange on post screens I can see as they whiz by, but after "welcome" splash, screen goes black except for mouse pointer.  System works reasonably well nonetheless, so long as I use taskmanager to access "run" in order to start whatever.  Screen looks fine in applications.  Workstation & windows explorer are running.
Recent history is system was becoming unstable, getting bsod every few hours with varying error messages.  Tried multiple malware/virus checkers, nothing significant.  Looked at Registry, was a huge mess, did some cleanup on own, was too much for my limited skills so downloaded a cleanup tool recommended by friend, Registry Booster.  In middle of download got bsod, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.  When re-booted, got the aforementioned black screen.  It's been with me since.
After considerable effort got Registry Booster downloaded and paid for, it seemed to work well.  Found 1807 registry errors, appeared to fix vast majority correctly.  However did not solve problem, though I will say PC boots considerably faster now, so I get to see the black screen quicker.  Only other consistent pattern is always get bsod if I attempt to install AVG antivirus.  An old copy of Norton I had around installed fine, but can't update so mostly did it as a test.  Updated AdAware, installed Spysweeper, installed AutoRuns, etc with no prob.  Even MS Office runs fine (for once).  Exact same pattern of behavior in Safe Mode, btw.
Tomorrow I will try Memtest86 (it's getting quite late here), but in the meantime if anyone has any suggestions as to the loss of the shell/desktop/gui/whatever I would very much appreciate it.

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Re: Black Screen but works
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 02:19:56 AM »
    i suppose you could Add "explorer.exe" To the Run Key in the Registry , or to the start up Folder.

Al tho if explorer is failing to boot at all it might be broken.
    It might be best to just reinstall windows
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 04:02:11 AM »
    A good format and reinstall fixes most Windows problems, for a while.  ;)

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 06:40:13 AM »
      gx1_man is that like your catch pharse?

and if so where can i get one?
      Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

erchrist

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 08:30:51 AM »
      Yes, I considered re-format and re-install XP, however I am loath to do so.  Not just because of the time/hassle, but because in a recent move I unfortunately lost the disks & info for several programs I use on a daily basis.
      I can't afford to repuchase at this point.

RapedApe

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 09:11:17 AM »
      Try downloading this shellfix regedit from f-secure:

http://ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/shellfix.reg

I've had it work before, not with this exact issue but something similar. It's worth a shot anyways.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 06:49:58 PM »
      gx1_man is that like your catch pharse?

and if so where can i get one?

Facts is facts.

You can get a catch phrase on eBay.

fozia

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 04:48:24 PM »
      hi,im wanting sum help with my monitor.when im turning my computer on the green light comes on for a few seconds and then turns off.the computer is working but the screen is blank.....

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 04:50:31 PM »
      Fozia,

Instead of hijacking this thread, please start your own and include a LOT more information. See below.