Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: emachine power supply  (Read 3452 times)

charles57

emachine power supply
« on: June 27, 2006, 08:49:29 AM »
looking for help on the power supply of a emachine 2.6 ghz intel celron w/8og harddrive. After shuting down computer i notice the power supply fan still running , is this normal. the reason iam asking is, we lost power in the house and had a hard time restarting the computer. thanks for any help.

EssentiaTech

Re: emachine power supply
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 09:06:56 AM »
Does your power supply have ECASO technology?  ECASO technology keep fans running for cooling down your internal case and power supply temperature for 3 minutes after shutdown.  It's a long shot, but something to consider.  Not likely, though, since you're just noticing this now.

I've always taken the approach that troubleshooting power supplies isn't really worth it.  The risk/reward just doesn't justify messing with it.  Plus, a replacement can be acquired for a fairly inexpensive price assuming you're not someone who has to have name brand/latest and greatest hardware.  

Of course, that's assuming that the problem is in your power supply.  If you don't have a warrenty, I would suggest acquiring a different power supply (either from retail or from someone who has an extra) and seeing if that fixes your problem.  If not, move on from there.

charles57

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 10:09:54 AM »
thanks for the thoughts. will try now to find a power supply, i have no problems with a generic brand.
they help in todays world.  

EssentiaTech

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 10:16:29 AM »
No problem.  Good luck and let me know if the problem persists.  I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot further if that proves to be necessary.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 10:16:38 AM »
try looking on www.newegg.com

they have alot of computer parts and related stuff for cheap

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 04:29:57 PM »
Power supplies are another area where you truly get what you pay for. Here's one for $10.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AP400W&cat=PWR

Would I put it in a machine that I cared about the components? Absolutely no way!

Dead_reckon

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 05:27:13 PM »
Power supplies are another area where you truly get what you pay for. Here's one for $10.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AP400W&cat=PWR

Would I put it in a machine that I cared about the components? Absolutely no way!

i have seen a 500w psu for like 20 bucks, on newegg, good ratings too

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 07:11:38 PM »
Go for it. It's your ca$h.  :o

Many things get a good rating as long as they're working.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 07:12:37 PM by GX1_Man »

Dead_reckon

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 08:55:10 PM »
you shouldnt have to worry about a high end psu, i have an off brand that my dad put in thi head ache he assembled, the -12 rail doesnt stay at 12v all teh time, but other than that its stable... of course this could be why i have had so many problems with my mobo...

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 04:19:37 AM »
You have made my point perfectly!  ::)

Dead_reckon

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 11:54:37 AM »
lol. emachines are already unstable, so what differance will it make?

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 12:23:19 PM »
bad + bad = worse