Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why constant pop up of page cannot be displayed?  (Read 2987 times)

plaisirdamour

Why constant pop up of page cannot be displayed?
« on: July 01, 2006, 02:22:36 AM »
 :-[I am brand new on Computer hope, and I want to mention right away that I don't know a lot about computers, so my questions may not seem intelligent to some.
I have Windows XP home edition on my computer. My computer is E-machine W288(not sure if that makes sense) My browser is Internet Explorer    Have 504MB or Ram?
I have 2 questions. Since I received this computer from a friend , I have not been able to figure out why ( the page cannot be displayed  and so on~~~~~~~~~is always popping up, when I use my Hotmail account  or for that matter, it keeps popping up everywhere, doesn't really stop me from doing what I'm doing, but is sure annoying~~~~ can't seem to get rid of it.
My 2nd question is.    All those free services that are advertised  on Computer Hope site, for example
Fix PC problems quickly and easily for free~~~~ free PC doctor and free cleanups and problems fixed at PC pitstop~~~~ how does a person like me who doesn't know very much decides whether it's a good idea to look into those places or downloads?
Help with be very appreciated

GX1_Man

Re: Why constant pop up of page cannot be displaye
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 06:08:02 AM »
You don't need any of those programs. Is this machine running with a fresh install of Windows, or a leftover from the previous owner.? Obviously there are problems, but you should be able to correct them. Do you have the original Windows CD or a restore disc set? Do you have any adware/spyware/virus protection? Is SP2 on the machine? Do you have all of the Microsoft updates? How are you connected to the internet?

Have a read here and see what you can learn. Post back the answers to the questions above.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149948530

RapedApe

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 09:22:28 AM »
For the pop-ups you could just use Firefox. Hopefully it's pop-up blocker would be able to handle those. Another good idea would be to download and post a HijackThis log. We can go through it and see if there is any spyware plaguing you're system.

Also, be sure to go through the link that GX1_Man gave you. Very helpful for new users especially with spyware issues. My personal scanner of choice would be Ewido and X-Cleaner. Don't bother saving X-Cleaner, just run it. Does a good job and it's a quick scan. Ccleaner may also help your current problem so give those a go and let us know if you need more help.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 10:17:40 AM »
Do you have Service Pack 2 for Windows XP installed?  It is a major help in controlling popups.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 04:46:08 PM »
    Why constant pop up of page cannot be displayed?
    Quite amazing how mentioning 'pop up' can send people off looking for pop up blockers. LOL!