Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hardware blocking startup?  (Read 1865 times)

Maveri

Hardware blocking startup?
« on: June 29, 2006, 03:54:51 PM »
Im running a Celeron D 2.97 on an Intel D101GGC motherboard. I have an 80 Gb Diamond Max Plus 9, A CD-RW/DVD-ROM Lite -On, ! Gig of Ram running in single channel, A 400 watt PSU and an extremely cheap Micro Atx case.

Last Night I left it on to defrag and went to bed. When I woke up the next morning, It was off and would not start up. The main thing bugging me is that THE MOTHERBOARD LIGHT IS ON, BUT IT STILL WONT START!!!
Its conected to a legit power strip so i don't think it was surged, but this is the first rig i built from complete scratch and this is driving me nuts. Does anyone have any Ideas?

Thx to any1 who responds.

GX1_Man

Re: Hardware blocking startup?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 04:08:09 PM »
How long did it run correctly before this? THe motherboard light tells you precious little about the motherboard or the power supply unit. What make and model of PSU and the wattage? Was it new when you put it in? Do you have another known good PSU to test with?

Maveri

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 02:38:44 PM »
Thx for replying.

Its worked for a good 6 months, with no real intermittent hardware problems. As far as I can tell, the PSU make was tottally generic and came with the inexpensive case, which I recognize as potentially an old resold PSU. However it was running at 450w, the reason I got it for my hungry PCI-E card! The only PSU'd I have avilable are from two old worksattions, and neither have a 9v connector or a four extension to the main power connector to the motherboard.

Ive heard that you should never do it under any circumstances, but I really want to take the PSU apart and experiment rather than wait for my next paycheck. What are your thoughts on that?

Again, this is driving me crazy. Thanks for the reply.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 05:30:52 PM »
A cheap, old PSU at whatever wattage is a bad idea for expensive components. Using one after you have monkeyed with and no experience of doing so it absolutely a blueprint for a disaster.

You may need a few paychecks to undo what you are proposing.