Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: is there a limit to how many monitors i can have?  (Read 3920 times)

Dead_reckon

is there a limit to how many monitors i can have?
« on: June 27, 2006, 10:09:11 AM »
i currently have two monitors, and i was wondering if it is possible to have 4 or 5 when i get my new computer built this coming school year. i think it may be possible, because i can set the second monitor to be on the left, right, top, bottom, and corners of the primary monitor, from that, it would seem that you could stack an infinite number of monitors, but i have no clue if i can, and no way to test it at the moment...

homer

Expert
    Re: is there a limit to how many monitors i can ha
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 05:37:05 PM »
    i believe u can have 8 monitors max (as far as i know) .it requires you to have 2-4 port video cards.

such as seen in this pic a found on google. http://www.naplestech.com/images/quadgroup_xentera2.jpg

Dead_reckon

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 07:27:37 PM »
    thanks... atleast now i wont buy enough to have like 10 or somthing and be wondering why they wont work, lol

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 07:42:46 PM »
    homer's facts are not quite correct.  Win 98SE could support up to 8 monitors.  Numerous sources say Win XP Pro can support up to 9 monitors.  But, in fact, as many as 16 monitors have been run with Win XP and with 4 PCI Matrox Millennium G200 quad-monitor video cards.  

Also, running 8 monitors can done other ways than with 2-4 port video cards.  In other words, more than 2 video cards could be used to accomplish it.  But, let's talk about a more realistic scenario, the 4 or 5 monitors you mentioned.  5 monitors could be supported with 3 video cards, with at least of them supporting two monitors.  You would not need a quad-monitor video card; cards supporting two monitors would suffice.

I've had 3 CRT monitors connected to my computer, using 3 video cards, 1-AGP and 2-PCI.  I currently have two CRT monitors, both attached to my AGP card, with a nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 GPU, and with VGA, TV-out, and DVI connectors.  The primary monitor is connected to the VGA port; the seondary, to the DVI port via a DVI-to-VGA adapter, since that monitor also requires a VGA connection.  

I could install the two PCI cards again and support 4 monitors.  Or, I could get a single PCI card that supports two monitors.  So, you can see there are a variety of possible configurations.  If you'd like to see a database of actual configurations, see it here.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 07:46:45 PM by soybean »

Dead_reckon

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 08:07:56 PM »
    i plan to have a 512 mb 256bit PCI X16 card as my primary, this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102548

and im gonna have two of these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143058

and this tv tuner so i dont have to use my picky tv's built in one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814129051

strangly enough, my video cards, and tv tuner all turned out being blue, i just noticed that... it'll look sweet with my black mobo, too bad i dont have a side window, i could, but i dont want to sacrifice the huge side vent in my case

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 08:28:57 PM »
    And what is your budget for this lunacy?

Dead_reckon

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 08:44:03 PM »
    lmao, lunacy, i have about 2000 to blow, alittle over, im considering not doing the server, my dad changed his mind about backing up his data, and i could use the extra cash...

edit: you mabey happy with your GX1 dell, or is it gx100? i cant remember the model of that particular dell... but i need s powerfull gaming machine, and when im not gameing i multi task... like crazy... oh i forgot to menntion, my computer i am building doesnt support onboard video, yet there is a compsite out on the board, with an optical out, weird huh?
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 08:49:43 PM by Dead_reckon »

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 08:56:44 PM »
    Now, now, GX1_Man.  Every student should have 5 monitors and a tv tuner.  They all multi-task like crazy, man.  Don't you know that!  LOL.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 09:08:37 PM »
    Now, now, GX1_Man.  Every student should have 5 monitors and a tv tuner.  They all multi-task like crazy, man.  Don't you know that!  LOL.

lol... my dusty relic of a TV will be hooked up so it will live as a TV again... its a 1999 zenith concierg (i think i spelled that right...) the main reason why want alot of monitors, is bc i hate having windows stacked on each other... and with these cards, i can have 6 monitors and 4 tv's hooked up... oh btw, pardon the typos, my sleepin pills are kicking in... i have to take them, bad case of insomnia... i can live with the lack of sleep, but i couldnt when i first went on em, now if i skip or miss a couple doses, i feel like crap the next day... kidn of sucks.... well, im gonna learn from past exerperences and goto bed before my sentences make no sense to anyone, including myself...

homer

Expert
      « Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 05:49:08 PM »
      whiskey works great for insomnia. [smiley=beer.gif]

Dead_reckon

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 08:42:34 PM »
      lmfao, that would do about the same thing to my mind that these pills do, only quicker...