Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Creating your own XP CD  (Read 3479 times)

rlprlp

Creating your own XP CD
« on: July 01, 2006, 08:48:20 PM »
Another question from rlprlp:  My HP Pavilion came with XP pre-installed.  The recovery disk (which I had to make myself following the instructions of a special wizard) has all the garbage from Blockbuster Online to Matchmaker.com to you name it!  I tried to google this, but had no luck.  Close, but not quite.  Is there a way that I can make my own CD, or better yet, being that I have a valid product code, can I get one from Microsoft? (For a nominal S&H fee.)  Don't need it; all is well.I only want it for "just in case".  It took one heck of a long time to get rid of all that crud...  

GX1_Man

Re: Creating your own XP CD
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 09:10:59 PM »
You are always better off with a real Windows CD. I doubt Microsoft will help since what you have is an OEM copy and they don't even provide support for that! Contact HP. You cannot make your own CD.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 09:11:37 PM by GX1_Man »

rlprlp

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 09:20:52 PM »
That's what I wanted to hear (you know what I mean!).  I'll stop wasting my time trying to research the idea, except to see if HP may be willing to provide me with one.  Thanks, GX1 !

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 11:03:20 AM »
You are always better off with a real Windows CD. I doubt Microsoft will help since what you have is an OEM copy and they don't even provide support for that! Contact HP. You cannot make your own CD.
So, he can not use the slipstreaming technique?  

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 11:10:09 AM »
He does not have a real XP CD to start  with. That is the problem. You can't slipstream what you do not have.   ;)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 11:21:37 AM »
Apparently, he has a Recovery partition on his hard drive.  And, I gather he created a CD from that.  This would be a CD that could be used to format his hard drive and reinstall Windows.  Right?  So, I was wondering whether there's any way for owners of such computers to use slipstreaming to create a system CD.  

I spent some time researching the slipstreaming technique months ago, and, I admit, as I recall, it was usually described as applying to a situation where the computer owner has a Windows XP (SP1) CD and wants to create a Windows XP SP2 CD.  

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 11:44:34 AM »
What that creates is a restore CD, not a Windows CD. Two entirely different products.

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 05:25:40 AM »
    Generally an OEM computer has to come with the I386 folder some where on the computer, from this you can make an XP CD , but it wont be bootable , unless you add a boot partition to it, using Nero or such to add a dos boot loader, if you have the Windows OPK tools  you can also make a XP CD that will boot and you can customise it so it has drivers and user settings already set up. how ever only OEM distributors get this set i have it becase i was an OEM Distributer also to make your own OEM Cd you Need a Real CD frist or the OPK tools dont work
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 05:26:58 AM by panboy »
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 07:34:59 AM »
    But as I said, he can't do it.  ;)

RapedApe

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 07:56:51 AM »
    Also the restore partitions are usually, well at least for dell anyways, just an image and they don't format the drive at all. They pretty much just delete everything and then throw the image down overtop. So it'd be the same as trying to make an XP cd from an already installed OS.

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      « Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 08:01:23 AM »
      I made no mention of a restore Partition, and also on dell machines they do Copy the 1386 folder on to your C:\ drive that way you can still install the extra windows components you may want or need, or do a reinstall sans disk
      Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 09:30:33 AM »
      I think RapedApe stated before he actually worked for Dell somewhere in some capacity. Perhaps he would elaborate.