Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Don't loan out your web-site accounts!  (Read 4224 times)

rlprlp

Don't loan out your web-site accounts!
« on: July 01, 2006, 10:09:03 AM »
I'm really ticked!  I gave a co-worker access to a couple of web-sites that are a part of magazine subscriptions.  You don't buy stuff on them; they only contain general information, no $ information.  Anyway, I told him SPECIFICALLY to be POSITIVE that he logs out when he's done so that I can access them!!  Well, I'll bet that you can guess what!  Now I can't access either site, and he's on vacation until next Thursday.  When I finally get a hold of him and chew him out, I'm going to change the passcodes on both sites, just to be sure that he won't be able to use them again, even though I plan on telling him that this annoyed me so much that I don't want him using them anymore.  I know what he's going to say:  "I'm really sorry, man!  I just forgot!"  So DON'T loan out your web accesses!   -I feel a little better now that I've griped about it!  

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Don't loan out your web-site accounts!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 01:05:58 PM »
Its also a good idea to keep all records of your web access information stored in your own area, don't leave it where co-workers or rebellious teenagers (like me) can find them.

Also, those "free" sites that have lost password recovery that have hints to fill out should be hard to solve, and you shouldn't use company email for sending website information as that email could be read by someone else.

(whenever someone leaves their password out in the open, I always log on as them for fun, but I don't do anything. Someone once posted their EA user account and password, I could have charged then money through their credit card to get myself a game)

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 04:09:15 PM »
    Are you sure your co-worker's failure to log off has caused the problem?
    That just doesn't sound right to me.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 04:20:37 PM »
    Are you sure your co-worker's failure to log off has caused the problem?
    That just doesn't sound right to me.
    It does kind of sound funny, there must be another side to this...
    ADVICE: (non computer)
    Before you go ripping your co-workers head off, find out what happened for sure.

rlprlp

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 08:33:15 PM »
    Generic quote (NOT verbatim): "User is already logged on at a different location..."  Still believe I'm jumping to conclusions?  Thanks for the input; every last one of you guys are great!!

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 08:37:45 PM »
    Generic quote (NOT verbatim): "User is already logged on at a different location..."  Still believe I'm jumping to conclusions?  Thanks for the input; every last one of you guys are great!!
    It could be that they had a stupid computer that didn't disconnect.
    You say this guy is on vacation? Wouldn't he have turned the computer off, put it into hibernate, standby, or something that would have closed the connection (even if that's not what they intended?)
    What site is this anyways?

rlprlp

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 09:04:09 PM »
    Response to question 1:  I have no idea what he would or would not do.  He's very "casual" with computers (only knows the bare basics needed to surf the web, etc.)

Question 2:  Actually, two sites.  Same message (more or less) from both.  Honestly, I don't want to say what sites.  I wouldn't want them to know that I've violated any terms of agreement, even this trivial.  (I doubt that anyone out there thinks that I'm some kind of criminal).  I wouldn't want them to decide to cancel my subscriptions.  Besides, I'm not trying to "fix" this.  When I talk to him, if I'm wrong, I'll contact the Web Masters of the sites.  

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 12:36:40 AM »
      Are these sites where you have paid money to join, like sex sites or something? :-X
      I guess that would account for the high security, they couldn't run with a policy of
      'One in All in'.

rlprlp

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 05:56:52 AM »
      Yes, I had to pay money to subscribe to the magazines.  Web access came with the subscriptions.  Like sex sites.  They have NOTHING TO DO WITH SEX.  I'm going to allow myself to get defensive, because I think I know where this is going...  When you have friends over, do you hide all of your books and magazines because, after all, you paid for them, not them?  It costs money to run web sites.  It costs money to print reading material.  I will always feel that it's the same thing.  I bought it, and I'll share it if I choose to.  Besides, that was my whole point.  I had to learn the HARD WAY!!!  I'm trying to recommend to others to NOT share!!!  And I will divulge this much:  One is "How-to", the other is about motorcycles.  Remember, if I'm wrong, I already admitted that I am the one who got defensive!  I hope I'm wrong about my co-worker, too, because he's a really nice guy!  
      « Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 06:01:59 AM by rlprlp »

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 06:32:02 AM »
      If he logged in and didn't log out and the computer is still running that would explain it. If he didn't log out but turned the computer off, it should be reset to allowpeople with the correct access in. Let us know what the answer was when he gets back.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 09:28:42 AM »
      Its also a good idea to keep all records of your web access information stored in your own area, don't leave it where co-workers or rebellious teenagers (like me) can find them.

Also, those "free" sites that have lost password recovery that have hints to fill out should be hard to solve, and you shouldn't use company email for sending website information as that email could be read by someone else.

(whenever someone leaves their password out in the open, I always log on as them for fun, but I don't do anything. Someone once posted their EA user account and password, I could have charged then money through their credit card to get myself a game)

lmao, agreed, but had it been me i would have bought a game  :-X

@GX1 man, it wouldnt log out if his internet history didnt clear, it would still "think" he is logged in, i have had several computers do this to me... it can be quite a headache

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 10:57:01 AM »
      @GX1 man, it wouldnt log out if his internet history didnt clear, it would still "think" he is logged in, i have had several computers do this to me... it can be quite a headache

If the computer is turned off it doesn't matter if the internet history is cleared or not. how could that information even be accessed?

Dead_reckon

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 11:33:56 AM »
      dunno, but it stayed logged in, and since it didnt clear the history, that was my only guess, lol

rlprlp

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 12:10:49 PM »
      Guess who just called?  He said that for no apparent reason, it just popped into his head...  He suddenly realized that he didn't log out after borrowing my accounts.  He felt so bad, he offered to go home (a nearly 3 hour drive) just to log off from his PC.  I said no, don't be silly;  just try to remember as soon as you get home.  Apparently, he has a neighbor who works with computers, and he showed my friend Zone Alarm.  See, he's got dial-up, and says that updates take forever when he shuts his computer off, so he uses stand by.  I didn't ask; it's no big deal, but perhaps he only minimized his browser instead of closing it?  It was so nice of him to offer; now I'm inclined to give him another chance!  If it made him feel this bad, he's almost certain to not forget next time, don't you think?  
      « Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 12:11:40 PM by rlprlp »

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 02:45:35 PM »
        At least you didn't rip his head off.  :)