Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB port not working  (Read 4390 times)

avalen

USB port not working
« on: July 01, 2006, 04:58:43 PM »
one of my USB ports is disabled and I don't know how to fix it. My device manager shows a message that reads "Due to hub transer request failer, a
hub has been disabled. Check your computer's cabeling & device"
The device I'm trying to plug in is my pc cam.  Does this mean my pc cam is broken or my hub is broken? Thought I'd ask before I spend money on a repair man. I'm using Windows 98. Thanks

GX1_Man

Re: USB port not working
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 05:28:46 PM »
How about some information about your computer, history of the problem, operating system, etc? Has it always been this way? If not, when did it start? How old is the machine? Is the camera a new purchase? Does the camera work on other PC's? Did it used to work? Model #? etc., etc.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 05:29:45 PM by GX1_Man »

avalen

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 05:50:27 PM »
my computer is about 8 years old, and I used to use my cam, its about as old, but for the past 4 or 5 years I've only used my computer for games and haven't had anything extra hooked up to it. Its an Acer, using windows 98 and really haven't done much to it except clean and defrag over the years. I did reload windows a few times and wanted to again but I'm also have problems with my cd rom, when I put in my OEM recovery disk I get a message that says I need a cd rom, go figure, it worked fine to reload my pc cam disk.
I'm thinking if its serious I'd take it to the repair place if I can't fix it by doing something simple. I have replaced the cd rom a few times over the years and I've added a rewriter about 5 years ago but was never happy with the program for it so I don't use it.  Thanks for helping.

avalen

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 06:24:40 PM »
almost forgot to say that I've used this port many times for my thumdrive, but also haven't used that in months as it is packed away in storage getting ready for a move.

RapedApe

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 07:43:47 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have a real solution to your problem. My experience with 98 is very limited. However, I would like to offer another suggestion and that would be instead of taking it to a repair shop just buy a new PC. Computers are very cheap now and repairing them... not so much. You can buy a brand new PC from Dell for like 300 and I've seen people spend far more than that on the geek squad. Your computer has had a very good run and purchasing a new one is something to consider. If you don't agree with me then that's fine and I'm sorry for waisting your time.

That's my two cents :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »
It may just be a non-funcctioning USB port that can't be easily or cheaply fixed, but instead of chunking the whole thing you could get a PCI based USB 2.0 card for about $10. You would get a working USB port or two for cheap and it would be 2.0 which your equipment may be happier with anyway.

avalen

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 08:34:04 PM »
yes, I do agree, I've been saying it for a long time, I NEED A NEW COMPUTER!
this one has served me well and I think I did good keeping it going good for almost 10 years. It really pays to keep the defrag done and proggies kept cleaned out that you don't use. I'll keep this one for playing my games and buy a new one in the fall. Thanks so much for your two cents.  ;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 08:39:20 PM »
See above also.  ::)