Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: missing options in right click menu  (Read 12184 times)

vaxure

missing options in right click menu
« on: September 04, 2004, 01:39:09 PM »
Not sure how it happend but i no longer have the options to send to/new/open with when i right click on the dektop. I also can't create a new folder elsewhere like windows explorer etc..

:-/

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: missing options in right click menu
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 01:45:16 PM »
    vaxure.....What operating system are you using ?
    When you right click on the desktop exactly what options are you given ?

Let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

vaxure

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 01:50:10 PM »
    Hi and thanks for the response, I do appreciate it :)

Windows ME (4.90.3000)

my options are:

Nvidia Analog Display
    Active Desktop
    Arrange Icons
    Line up Icons
    Refresh
    Paste
    Paste shortcut
    Properties

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 02:10:29 PM »
      vaxure.....odd ......what happens if you right click on any icon on your desktop are you not given the option to send to .....or open .......etc. ?
      Has any one been playing around with setting or have you done any updates . I assume this just occurred....is that right.

let us know
      dl65  ???

vaxure

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 02:20:46 PM »
      Yes clicking on the icons works normaly, I get the send to menu etc...

As far as updates i've done a few in the last week including a directX upgrade from DX9.0a to DX9.0b. but the most recent was today when I installed the drivers for my keyboard to make the upper programable buttons work. as for when the problem started I'm not quite sure, it's been i'd say at least a week since I tried to create a new folder.

but seeing i can't create a new folder in windows explorer either and do not even have the option to add a folder creating button in the customize section, i'd say it a windows problem? i was hoping it was just a setting i accidently turned off somewhere.

as for windows settings the only one I have adjusted this week was removing accessability options.

vaxure

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 02:23:55 PM »
      Now that I think about it most of those options would'nt show up by right clicking on just the dektop anyway lol  :-[ but I am definatly missing the "new" option
      « Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 02:24:33 PM by vaxure »

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 02:44:49 PM »
      run this first>http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/   and general winge from me ...i just wish people would not update their pcs with<m$oft> updates....pcs seems to run better without them? end of winge...if it aint broke then leave it?

vaxure

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 02:52:55 PM »
      Just ran housecall 3 days ago :)

as for m$ updates i'm with you there lol but i had to upgrade DX for Everquest (an online game I play) which is more of a benchmarking progam then a game sometimes lol

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2004, 02:53:17 PM »
        vaxure.....I have been trying to recreate your issue here ....with no luck....How about uninstalling the keyboard updates you made today ( temporarily ) and see if you can right click on the desktop and see the new folder option.
        The other thing ...you say you cant create a new folder in Internet explorer....( I cant do that either ...unless I save it to say desktop and then click on the icon and I have the option of making a new folder.....Can you not click on my computer .....pick say C drive ...click on it and when the exporer window opens to display the conents
        right click in any clear space and see the option to make a new folder ?

let us know
        dl65  ???

merlin_2

vaxure

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2004, 03:26:51 PM »
        Ahh good find :)

Let me give that run

Get back with you

Vax

vaxure

IRe: missing options in right click menu
        « Reply #11 on: September 04, 2004, 03:35:27 PM »
        well actualy that isn't in my registry

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New\ (Default)

i don't have directories past ContextMenuHandlers that match that.

but from what I see in there it looks Nvidia related.

That is something else i've had issues with this week trying to get my game to work.  I was refering to older driver versions that didn't help so went back to the latest drivers. all done through safe mode of course but i'll try dropping back a version and see what happens.

Also in answer to your question dl65 no i can't get a new folder from an empty area off the C drive like your asking but i will go ahead and uninstall the keyboard drivers as well :)

vaxure

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2004, 03:47:54 PM »
        ok added the new registry entry but it didn't help, also removed the keyboard drivers but it didn't work. Then I rebooted in safemode and I still don't get the "new" menu there either?

vaxure

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2004, 03:51:12 PM »
        Is there a Hotkey for creating a new folder? maybe i can try and see if that works

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2004, 05:25:45 PM »
          vaxure.....I just came across this .....it seems to be related.....
          I've seen the same thing in ME - in fact, it just happened again. From my recollection, it's from a corrupt registry key... probably from an improperly installed video card.

You can either do it manually using regedit, or use a patch - one can be found at:

http://aumha.org/downloads/new.zip

Procedure:

1) Go to the start menu, run 'regedit' (minus quote marks), then go to 'file', 'export', and find a place to put the backup. Always a good idea.

2) Download the patch above, unzip, and double-click the registry file inside, and it'll be patched. Try creating a new folder then.

Maybe........let us know
          dl65  ???