Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer playing static/white noise  (Read 3027 times)

Jnmim

Computer playing static/white noise
« on: July 04, 2006, 10:43:30 AM »
Hi,

Don't usually post on these sort of sites so the fact i've been compelled to register shows how much this ones getting on top of me!

OK, so i recently built my first computer and everything has seemed for some time now.

Then around mid-June I was playing Doom 3 and i noticed this wierd intermitant static noise comming from the speakers.  At first when it would only play intermitantly and wouldnt occur when some programs (eg divx, winamp, certian games) were playing sound.

Over the last month though the noise has increased and increased to the point where i am now driven to distracion.  I can no longer play games/movies/music because the white noise/static coming over the speakers is now un-ceasing.

It is driving me up the wall and i dont know what to do.

I've tried using different cables (which i know work) and different speakers (which i also know work) neither has helped and the sound has persisted -thus i deduce that it is something within the computer itself.

Some one told me it might be because there are loose wres touching the psu, so i opended the computer tied everything up nice and neat etc -it didn't make a blind bit of difference.

The soundcard is built into mother board (motherboard is Gigabyte GA-K8NF9).

Any ideas?

Want any more info about comp?

-Jnmim
I've tried re-installing the drivers.

GX1_Man

Re: Computer playing static/white noise
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 12:04:23 PM »
Are there other electrical sources nearby?

pcj240ross

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 12:45:20 PM »
THAT HAPPENED TO ME ONCE AND WHEN I BOUGHT A NEW SOUND CARD IT WENT AWAY. I HAD SCREATCHING AND STATIC NOISES IN GAMES BUT MY MP3s PLAYED FINE

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 01:26:30 PM »
And then it affected your Caps Lock key I see.  ;)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 02:45:57 PM »
Yup, try adding a soundcard.  That way you can determine whether the onboard sound has failed.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 06:41:24 PM »
And then it affected your Caps Lock key I see.  ;)
:D :D :D :D
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dead_reckon

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 09:22:38 PM »
Gygabyte bites, they dont make very relyable products, next time, AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE! but, yes, a sound card will fix the problem... i would fix the rear output on this computer by puttin in a sound card, but i currently dont have the money, and i wont own this computer for that much longer

Jnmim

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 10:06:27 AM »
OK no worries will try putting a sound card in (got one lying around here somewhere) and see if that helps.

I've looked at power outputs etc and there's nothing near it.

As for "dead reckon's" comments about "gigabyte biting" (i see you have some rudamentory grasp of punning) it amazes me how whenever you post any tech spec ona site there's always some teenager ready to jump in and say "hey that hardware's rubbish, im totally not going to use that when i replace my outmoded dating machin" -yeah, great, real great.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 10:25:37 AM »
Generally people with blanket statements have had one bad experience and then extrapolate to everything under the offending company's name, OR they heard it somewhere and it just keeps getting passed along without any verification in reality.

I think I'll stop there. That's too many big words for a Wednesday morning.

homer

Expert
    « Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 06:07:17 PM »
    I think I'll stop there. That's too many big words for a Wednesday morning.

u seem to like big words, are u sure ur name isnt Professor GX1_Man?  ;D