Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vid card troubles... ARGH!  (Read 2963 times)

Inzane

Vid card troubles... ARGH!
« on: July 05, 2006, 02:24:00 PM »
Ok, so I have a hand-me-down computer that isn't all that bad. It has window xp home and a radeon 9200 video card (horrible!). What my problem with it is that i tried to upgrade the card but whenever i get to a certain part of the installation it crashes. I found out that the upgrades i was trying to use didn't support my card... Now i can't find anything that will upgrade my card. I really need help because i've never owned a computer before and don't really know what it takes to keep it up to date except buy a new vid card and that's just too expencive for me right now. Where can i go to upgrade my vid card?

GX1_Man

Re: Vid card troubles... ARGH!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 03:58:48 PM »
1) Download the latest drivers from the nVidia site.  (www.nvida.com)

2) Remove all existing drivers and reboot the machine.

3) Install the new drivers.

What happens now?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 04:00:02 PM by GX1_Man »

Inzane

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 04:11:14 PM »
I'm sure that would work if the vid card was nvidia and not radeon.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 04:28:40 PM »
I'm sure that would work if the vid card was nvidia and not radeon.

My bad. I forgot you already did that. Substitute ATI for nVidia and proceed.

Inzane

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 04:46:11 PM »
I tried that before i even posted this topic :( here's the link to what i found https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=640 it says that the update doesn't support radeon 9250 or lower.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 05:25:09 PM »
What is the latest driver on theri site that supports it? It will nefver be state of the art, but it should be functional.

You could also try driverguide.com. Registration is free and the searchin' is easy. Of course this might be helpful too. I don't know where you've been.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=radeon+9250+driver
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 05:26:43 PM by GX1_Man »

Newbie1974

Rookie
    « Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 05:42:17 PM »
    Describe your system crash, does it freeze, any error code, exit to desktop?

Inzane

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 06:03:23 PM »
    Ok. In the process of installing the upgrades it said that it didn't detect a card driver. So i looked back to the website and it listed all the types of radeon cards that the upgrade will work on and not work on and under the list of the ones not working on is radeon 9200 which is the exact type of card that i have. My friend said that there are upgrades that will work for it but i couldn't find the website for it. The ATI website can't upgrade my card so i don't know what can.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 06:15:45 PM »
    Well, if ATI can't do it, you may be stuck with the links above.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 06:15:53 PM »
    You're not paying attention to the comments in the replies, are you?  Someone suggested driverguide.com.  Go here: http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=200474

Inzane

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 06:42:48 PM »
    actually i think i found the problem. i was looking into catylist 6.6 and not 5.5. 6.6 doesn't work with radeon 9200. thanks for all your help guys

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 07:25:54 PM »
    Good for you. Thanks for posting back.  ;)

Inzane

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 08:06:38 PM »
    No problem. But since i'm still a hax0r n00b  ;D i don't know if i should delete this post or leave it for other people who may have questions about this in the future

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 08:14:29 PM »
    Someone will learn from this, believe me.  ;)