Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: electrical problems  (Read 4768 times)

Dead_reckon

electrical problems
« on: July 04, 2006, 01:31:17 PM »
this isnt computer related, but this is the "other" forum after all... ok, so heres the problem, here at my grandmothers, we have three rooms (this bedroom, my older bro's bed room, and the living room) on one 15 amp breaker... now, for the most part this house is just converted from fuses to breakers, which, is quite unsettling, but it hasnt caused any serios probs yet... other than breakers throwing... so, i think i have the solution, would upgrading to a 30 amp breaker be enough? or should we go with a 30 amp double throw breaker? it is currently runnin my computer (both monitors) my bros computer (one LCD monitor) my bros air conditioner, and two fans in my room

EDIT: i do know quite a bit about basic wiring, wiring codes, stuff like that, i took electricity and electronics in the 9th grade
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 01:32:08 PM by Dead_reckon »

tucker42

Re: electrical problems
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 01:39:37 PM »
I see that you do know a lot about wiring, but it might be a good idea to call an electrician so you don't kill yourself modding your house.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 01:58:00 PM »
my dad can easly install it if needed, so shut the *censored* UP and dont open your friggin mouth unless ya know the facts

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 02:07:28 PM »
An electrician seems to be in order, all right. Be careful!  :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 02:07:47 PM by GX1_Man »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 02:15:52 PM »
DO NOT upgrade to a 30 amp breaker.  If all the electrical systems on that ring are switched off, and one human is inserted, drawing say, 25 amps between him and the ground, said human will be dead long before anyone smells the burning flesh.  And of course the breaker will not trip.  Plus, the wiring is probably only rated up to 20 amps, so you would be creating a major fire hazard right there.

What you need (if anything) is another 15A ring.  Be safe!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 02:17:04 PM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

tucker42

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 05:29:52 PM »
I think his dad needed to do that in the past not the future

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »
Well, I don't know if his Dad is an electrician or not, but that is a very dangerous situation. Fuses blow for a reason and a bigger fuse is NOT the solution.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 06:08:29 PM »
my dad re wired our house (my dads house) a couple years back, had to pull the meter, but only for enough time to connect the main power, but you probably right, i didnt consider the fact that the wiring may be rated for only 20 amps

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 06:17:16 PM »
homer, who is reportedly an electrician, confirmed this in the other thread.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 06:21:33 PM »
ah, i would check, but i am too lazy to keyboard my way over there, lol

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 07:25:44 PM »
    Dead_Reckon...... FYI ....... If the branch circiut breaker is 15 amps ...... that tells me the conductors used on that circuit are probably #14AWG ... (assuming you are in North America ) and probably a R90 temperature rating .......
    If you wish to use a 20 amp breaker , the wire size would have to be increasd to #12 AWG ...... and to go to 30 amps .....the required conductor size would be # 10 AWG .....

EDIT: i do know quite a bit about basic wiring, wiring codes, stuff like that, i took electricity and electronics in the 9th grade
     With all due respect ..... you must have slept through most of the classes .......  for example you say ...... [highlight]30 amp double throw breaker [/highlight]....  No ...its either a single pole or double pole ....... and usually a double pole breaker is used if you wish a 230 ac supply . ( Assuming your house is using a 115/230 volt service )  
    How do I  know is ....... well I spent 20 years in the electrical business.
    So  please leave any electrical upgrades to a professional .........

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 08:03:08 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 07:54:21 PM »
    I'll do anything with a computer but I leave wiring to the professionals.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 08:04:26 PM »
    And don't forget - if you or your Dad get it wrong,  and your work causes, or is deemed to cause, a fire or injury, your insurance company will flag away any claim leaving you exposed to all sorts of penalties.

Professionals usually carry insurance amounting to millions of dollars in case of any claim against them.  An electrician should be hired to certify any electrical work undertaken by a non-tradesman.

Take care out there :exclamation

Good luck.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Dmitri

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 08:41:17 PM »
    my friend deadly reck said he knew lot of this and had one class. he forgot to read that book?? may be father can put fuse in fuse box for him.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 09:43:14 PM »
    Dead_Reckon...... FYI ....... If the branch circiut breaker is 15 amps ...... that tells me the conductors used on that circuit are probably #14AWG ... (assuming you are in North America ) and probably a R90 temperature rating .......
    If you wish to use a 20 amp breaker , the wire size would have to be increasd to #12 AWG ...... and to go to 30 amps .....the required conductor size would be # 10 AWG .....

With all due respect ..... you must have slept through most of the classes .......  for example you say ...... [highlight]30 amp double throw breaker [/highlight]....  No ...its either a single pole or double pole ....... and usually a double pole breaker is used if you wish a 230 ac supply . ( Assuming your house is using a 115/230 volt service )  
    How do I  know is ....... well I spent 20 years in the electrical business.
    So  please leave any electrical upgrades to a professional .........

dl65  ::)

for one thing, we have always called then double throw breakers, for another, i have wired many things for my self, fans, lights, radios, heck, i rigged fans on my 500w amp (not a guitar amp, 4 channel output, has A and B outputs, am\fm tuner build in, 3 or 4 inputs, 2 outputs, LED display, am\fm presets, i think up to 100, bass, treble, and balance controls) the fans are powered by an old 150w aztec AT PSU, there are three fans in all, one 90mm and two 80's, i mounted them on the top vent grills of my amp, and wired them to the PSU's 12v line directly, works great, keeps the amp cool... and i did not sleep throught that class thank you, i am a bit rusty on terminology, but i can easly dig up old papers if needed... we had to do some basic wiring in that class in a small wooden frame which included:

one light to a switch, and an outlet that ran off of the same power source but was not controled by the switch

two lights that ran off of the same power source, one was controled by a switch, the other by the chain

a setup where we had to have two outlets, and two lights, one light was on the switch, one was on the chain, the outlets where not controled by the switch

and yes, we tested each of these, we did more of them, but i cant really remember all of the configs we did, i do know how to wire alot of things, regardless of what you may think i know, do not assume that just because i do not know the exact terminology i do not know what i am talking about.  i know wire is only rated for certain currents, that you get less resistance out of thick wire, all that basic crap, i learned how to calculate resistors also, although that is somthing i would have to look at the color chart to do, i would probably need to re learn the formula's. i am uncertain of the wiring in this house... i belive it may still be the old ball and tube wiring, or atleast some of it, i know it is in parts, i have helped my dad replace light fixtures, and wall outlets in this house, many of them still where on that wiring... this house is over 100 years old after all, it use to be an old farm house, now it is sitting in a suburb that was built on the land that use to be the farm..

EDIT: my dad has done many things in his life, one of them was working for some chain of fast food  resturaunts in texas(not sure witch, i would have to ask him), and then he was a certified electrician, he is on disability now, he has a bad back, has several titanium disks in his back, he has done many other things in his life, the last job he had though was in the late 80's or early 90's, he worked for Nissan forklift, repaired the propane modles, faster than anyone else around here could... actually, he was stuck in the nissan forklift building during the flood of '85
    « Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 09:49:24 PM by Dead_reckon »