Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: electrical problems  (Read 4765 times)

homer

Expert
    Re: electrical problems
    « Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 10:47:42 PM »
    hey dead_reckon. here are a couple solutions and pointers. the air conditioner is whats causing the overload.

Solutions

-place the  air conditioner on a seperate circuit.
    -run a new home-run to the plug being used by the air conditioner so that the plug is on its own dedicated circuit. (recommended to be done professionally)

Pointers

-don't touch the electrical panel, ur suggestions are liable to burn down the house.
    -as what dl65 said, double pole breakers are meant for 230V while single pole breakers are meant for 120V. if u would like to make ur bedroom circuit 230V, say goodbye to most of ur electronics. :'(

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 03:46:11 AM »
    i have wired many things for my self
    I think the point you may be missing is that there's a big difference between wiring a component and wiring a house.  The bits of dl65's posts that you didn't understand or which were news to you should tell you that.

There is no shame in admitting the limits of your knowledge.  People train to be domestic/industrial electricians for years.  You aren't there yet, nor does anyone expect you to be.  You do not know the regulations, and you do not have access to the (very expensive) testing equipment that electricians use.  The regulations and equipment exist for people's safety.  This is not an area in which people should compromise, cut corners or do things on the cheap.  That is how people get killed.

When you're dead, you don't get the opportunity to say, "or maybe it should be a FIFTEEN amp fuse in that circuit..."
    « Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 03:46:27 AM by robpomeroy »
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Nitro

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 10:25:04 AM »
    If your dads a certified electrician then surely he'd know what to do?

Don't upgrade the breaker, I'd add another ring like somebody else said.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 10:33:42 AM »
    i have wired many things for my self
    I think the point you may be missing is that there's a big difference between wiring a component and wiring a house.  The bits of dl65's posts that you didn't understand or which were news to you should tell you that.

There is no shame in admitting the limits of your knowledge.  People train to be domestic/industrial electricians for years.  You aren't there yet, nor does anyone expect you to be.  You do not know the regulations, and you do not have access to the (very expensive) testing equipment that electricians use.  The regulations and equipment exist for people's safety.  This is not an area in which people should compromise, cut corners or do things on the cheap.  That is how people get killed.

When you're dead, you don't get the opportunity to say, "or maybe it should be a FIFTEEN amp fuse in that circuit..."

i never said i would try it, i can wire stuff, outlets, light switches, fans, ect, just basic stuff...

@nitro: my dad use to be a certified electrician, isnt now, he cant work

homer

Expert
      « Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 05:12:33 PM »
      i never said i would try it, i can wire stuff, outlets, light switches, fans, ect, just basic stuff...

then he should know other electricians that can do the work for him right?

Dead_reckon

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 05:56:37 PM »

then he should know other electricians that can do the work for him right?

doubtfull, but he wired our house, well, most of it, and its fine