Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Using older printer "Star 4 Laser Jet"  (Read 2499 times)

windowdesign

Using older printer "Star 4 Laser Jet"
« on: July 04, 2006, 09:48:25 PM »
I am trying to use older printer with my newer Dell Windows XP.  I keep getting an alarm saying "call service 03"  Does anyone know what this means.  thanks

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Using older printer "Star 4 Laser Jet"
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 03:37:59 AM »
I'm betting that printer is a rebranded HP.  The alarm usually indicates that maintenance is required - a fuser unit needs replacement or whatever.   Are you up to taking the printer apart and replacing components?  If not, you probably need to get it looked at by a printer service engineer.  But given that printers are so cheap nowadays, if the unit no longer prints, it might be as well just to replace it.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

windowdesign

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 04:00:04 PM »
Thanks,  I have come to that opinion after working on it for hours.  Thanks for your input.  Frustrated in Kentucky.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 04:23:02 PM »
Speaking of that I went to get some ink cartridges for an older HP that certainly had a lot more life in it, but lacked eith a color or Black cartridge. My local Office Depot would sell me both for $62 + tax. Next to the cartridges were brand new HP's, with better resolution and the ink (full size cartridges) included for $50. That says a lot about our society. I knew that most printer companies sold the low end ones for next to nothing just to get you hooked on the ink (The first one is always free!) but that was just ridiculous.  ::)

windowdesign

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 05:02:26 PM »
At my office I have newer color printer, copier and scanner.  It uses HP cartridges, and have to replace them very, very frequently.  They cost in the $40's and $50's.  

This old Star 4 laser printer was a lot cheaper to buy for.  I have this one at home.   My town does not have a store that refills ink cartridriges, but when I was in Colorada, my friend took her's by and had them refilled for only $18.

That I can afford

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 05:06:55 PM »
I had two printers ruined by refilled ink cartridges. That was the only variable, so I'm sure about it. I avoid using them even though they are cheaper.

windowdesign

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 08:37:09 PM »
I am a risk taker and I would use the refill method and hope for the best.  Just don't have a store here.   I bought some off  of Ebay and the color cartridrige was bad.  So I guess that is not a good idea either.  You have any other suggestions to buy cartridges cheaper.  If only we all had plenty of money!!!!!