Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98se begins to start, then...  (Read 9519 times)

LPT

Windows 98se begins to start, then...
« on: July 05, 2006, 12:34:12 PM »
Currently, Windows 98se begins to start, then after a second the
Windows logo page disapears leaving me with the MS-Dos prompt C:\>

I first got only the message "Invalid System Disk". I then used the
Start up floppy and only got a DOS prompt C:\>

When I try starting with line by line prompts, the only line I get
is BOOTLOG. (Used F8 key as computer began to start)

I have tried usind DOS commands to add files (from my non-bootable c-
d copied to floppy) from a floppy to my computer's Windows files. I
then started getting the Windows logo page to appear for a second
then disappear.

I have used the dir /s /p DOS command to view the C directory for
any files dated of the time my files had become corrupt, and for
files with the date of the folder the corrupt files were from (and
replaced such files with others from my non-bootable c-d copied to
floppy). No change in current cituation.

I next used DOS command to copy my computer's CAB files to my
Windows System directory (folder). No change in current condition.

Any idea which file(s) would cause this problem?   8-)

GX1_Man

Re: Windows 98se begins to start, then...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 01:53:02 PM »
Press whatever keys are required to get to the BIOS/Setup screen. Since you didn't give any info about the system I can't help further. Is the hard drive seen correctly?

If so, then do you have a Win 98 boot disk? If so, boot with it and from the A:> type

fdisk /mbr   (and press enter)

sys c:     (and press enter)

Reboot the system and tell us what happens. Of course as much info as possible about the system, what preceeded this, what you had tried so far, and what virus/spyware measures were being used regularly are all helpful information.

LPT

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 10:40:05 AM »
Hello, Thanks for this idea, but after the re boot I get my same current cituation - the windows logo page appears for a second and then I get the dark blue screen with C:\>

After this I tried something I read on another post, that Windows can be started from a MS-DOS prompt if (I) (type) WIN and press (enter). I next got a message (without quotation marks) "HIMEM.SYS is missing. Make sure that the file is in your Windows directory". So I re-started using my Startup floppy, then took that floppy out and inserted another with the file plus 2 others ( COMMAND.COM, EXTRACT.EXE), then at the A:\> prompt I (typed) EXT and filled in info per series of prompts to paste the HIMEM.SYS file into C:\Windows. I next checked the Windows directory at the C:\> prompt by (typing) dir Windows /s /p and I saw the HIMEM.SYS file there. So I re boot and at C:\> (type) WIN and get same message- HIMEM.SYS file is missing...

To answer another of your questions, my virus protection is AGI freeware. I was on the internet copying an eMail to a document when my computer froze. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete did not bring the pop up box for me to exit a program not responding. All I could do was press power button. I re booted and could not get the internet, the t.v. icon for internet connect was now missing from task bar. I copied files from the Rescue7 folder from C drice to my Windows folder (including hidden and system files). After re boot I had the problem at the start of my post.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 01:20:47 PM »
I think this installation is so FUBAR'ed that you should format the drive and reinstall Windows. It would be easier AND quicker than doing what you're trying to do (without success).

There is no System Restore with 98. Maybe this will help, and it certainly couldn't hurt:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=185836

LPT

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 08:07:17 AM »
Thanks again for ideas,
Someone at another forum suggested I try two ideas: 1) (copy) msdos.sys to the root C:\ drive and reboot. If this doesn't work,  2) go to C:\\Windows\Options\Cabs and run setup.exe. This will reinstall windows in place.

I was wondering what your opinion is of this question: Will this remove all my documents and other files in the process of reinstalling windows?

LPT

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 09:51:56 AM »
Hi Again, I'm trying your latest idea. I went to the Internet link and found a windows 95 "Description of the windows 95 startup process". I see the ara where the problem may be. It says the CONFIG.SYS file loads drivers... and if it can't, the IO.SYS file will.

I got the idea to open these files. In the IO file there is script as well as programming. It lists a lot of problems such as:  CONFIG.SYS has too many drivers, and the high memory area (HMA) is not available and when using low memory instead there was not enough memory to load windows. Upon this file loading my previous version of MS-DOS, there is an invalid setting in the MS-DOS file:$. Then it reads "An internal stack overflow has caused this session to be halted. Change the STACKS setting in your CONFIG.SYS file, and then try again." Then I see a lot of programming I don't understand. Perhaps You could post the correct data for these files, and I could rewrite these files of mine which are allready registered?

Seems like even if I add new files, they will not be registered appropriately into my operating system?  Hope I don't need the SYSTEM.DAT or SYSTEM.DA0 files, as they are too big to fit on a flopy.

Are there any MS-DOS tools to register files especially DLL and INI files?  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 09:53:30 AM by LPT »

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 03:58:50 PM »
See above.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Why do you resist a reinstallation? Your system could be running well by now. What happened before all of this as I assume it has not always been this way?

LPT

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 12:36:01 PM »
Thanks for hanging in with me on this,
Where I'm stuck at a DOS prompt, how can I "run" setup.exe from my computers CAB files. I only know how to see what files exist or copy to a directory.

Only my flopy drive is recognized by my computer. The c-d spins but is not a recognized root drive. I've never used a USB memory stick, so that may not work due to lack of a special driver for windows 98.

Am I limited to copying extracted windows files to my computer to fix the bad files?

Looking at files I copied (burned) to a c-d from my windows system files, opening or using edit to read the scripts within, I read errors messages! Perhaps windows did not copy files that were in use, but bad files that I previously recovered from!  

Could I copy that setup.exe file onto the flopy startup disk (if there's room - maybe there's a file I could take off to make room for what I want to add?). Upon my computer starting up during DOS the file would be run too?

LPT

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 02:00:29 PM »
I just tried this,
In DOS at the C:\ (prompt) (I typed) setup.exe (and pressed) enter. Setup 98 ran for a short while then gave me this message: Your computer allready has an operating system installed, which cannot be upgraded by this version of setup. You need to obtain the windows 98 upgrade. Message SU0168.

rebooting after this just brings me to my current DOS prompt.

How can I get my previous operating system from my CAB files to reinstall?

Would you rather I post this as a DOS Post, seeing I'm trying to fix a windows problem from a DOS prompt?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 02:06:36 PM »
LPT:

I'm pretty sure if GX1 were here at the moment he would advise you to change the boot order in the BIOS setup to boot first to the CD-ROM drive, save the setting in the BIOS setup and exit, put the Windows CD in the CD-ROM drive, reboot your computer, and follow the instructions to reinstall Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q250928

If that doesn't work, reinstall Windows to a different folder (see the info in the same link).

Doc
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 02:13:07 PM by pcdoc4christ »

LPT

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 02:41:15 PM »
Hi and thanks,
I don't have a bootable windows c-d, only files I burned to a c-d.

Upon booting with the startup flopy, I let it start my computer with c-d assist. At the end I get this message: Device driver not found MSCD001. No valid CDROM device drivers selected.

At the DOS prompt C:\> (I typed) Windows\WIN. Got message: HIMEM.SYS is missing. Make sure that the file is in your Windows directory. SO, I put in startup flopy, changed command prompt to A:\> and (typed) copy HIMEM.SYS C:\Windows. I got message i file copied. Try again I get same message of missing file. Yet when I (typed) SYS C: , I got message: System transfered, and the computer has since booted to DOS command prompt instead of giving me past (first message ever) Invalid System Disk. So It seems files are copied to my computer. Perhaps my HIMEM.SYS file or another in my system is corrupt. Seems I need files without errors on them.

I don't dare prevent my computer from first starting from flopy! No valid c-d drivers and no bootable c-d!

I'll try to make a new folder and try to use setup.exe to that folder. I'll also look at the support link you provided.    

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 02:44:09 PM »
I don't have a bootable windows c-d, only files I burned to a c-d.

This is a problem right there. So this is a bootleg/homegrown CD with no valid setup file?

If it is usable you will first need to format the drive and reset the Master Boot Record.

Boot with a 98 SE boot disk. From thte A:> type in  

format a:/u/s     and press enter

fdisk/mbr           and press enter

e:setup              and press enter

Off you go.

The boot disk must be for the SAME version of Windows if you use the /s argument. Make sure this is true in your case.

If it is not usable, or is not a real Windows CD, you may be SOL until you get a real Windows CD. There will be other issues with it I'm sure.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 02:51:52 PM by GX1_Man »

LPT

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 10:55:16 AM »
This is a problem right there. So this is a bootleg/homegrown CD with no valid setup file?

Excuse me GXI_Man,
I copied my files from my used re-furbrished computer that came with this operating system that had been installed on it when the computer was new (obviously many years ago). The original windows c-d must have been misplaced many years ago. Incidently, when a backup COPY is made, it is just that. Unfortunatly, the computer must have copied too fast or something and there are errors with this backup.

If you believe that the operating system cannot be transfered to a new owner as part of the selling of the computer as used to someone else, when you sell your car as used, you then, should keep the tires and radio, and any accessory you had added upon purchasing the car new. Of course, you would not even think of buying a bootleg car sold as homegrown complete ready to use.  ;D You should not have been so quick to go off your self (notice I have counted to ten and then some before sending reply).

As far as your suggustion to format my drive, that would erase all my documents and other files (those that I had not yet backed up, cause not enough to fit on a c-d).

Thanks for the suprising thoughtful advice to be sure to find the exact same boot disk version of windows that I have.

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 12:42:23 PM »
If you believe that the operating system cannot be transfered to a new owner as part of the selling of the computer as used to someone else, when you sell your car as used, you then, should keep the tires and radio, and any accessory you had added upon purchasing the car new.

Well all I can say is read the EULA and good luck! Software is not like very many other things. You do not own it, you puchase the right to use it. If you are using it without a valid COA or install CD you are violating the EULA right there, as far as Microsoft goes.

Here's the quote:

SUPPLEMENTAL END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR MICROSOFT SOFTWARE

IMPORTANT: READ CAREFULLY - These Microsoft Corporation ("Microsoft") operating system components, including any "online" or electronic documentation ("OS Components") are subject to the terms and conditions of the agreement under which you have licensed Microsoft Windows 98 (an "End User License Agreement" or "EULA") and the terms and conditions of this Supplemental EULA. BY INSTALLING, COPYING OR OTHERWISE USING THE OS COMPONENTS, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE WINDOWS 98 EULA AND THIS SUPPLEMENTAL EULA. [highlight]IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, DO NOT INSTALL, COPY OR USE THE OS COMPONENTS.[/highlight]
NOTE: [highlight]IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A VALID EULA FOR MICROSOFT WINDOWS 98, YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO INSTALL, COPY OR OTHERWISE USE THE OS [/highlight]COMPONENTS AND YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS UNDER THIS SUPPLEMENTAL EULA.

and here's the whole thing:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/wurecommended/s_wufeatured/win98SE/license.asp

If you don't like that, complain to Bill Gates.

You are surprisingly defensive and sarcastic for someone trying to get help on a volunteer forum by the way despite counting to 10. I just read through my post that so offended you and see nothing wrong with it and the information is just as valid now as it was then. Good luck.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 12:44:26 PM by GX1_Man »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 12:44:50 PM »
I would suggest buying a Windows98SE CD and follow GX1Man's advice.
If you do not want to lose your data on that drive use a text editor to rename the win.com file in the root directory to win.old before you re-install. This will leave your installed programs and data intact...

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "