Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98se begins to start, then...  (Read 9326 times)

tucker42

Re: Windows 98se begins to start, then...
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 06:40:44 PM »
Get a real CD and your problems are solved.

LPT

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 06:37:22 AM »
 ;D To GXI Man,
regarding your EULA info, I had in the past gone to the microsoft site looking for updates (which are no longer available, microsoft does not support this system any more), and I got a re-cirtification thru the process. Somewhere there is a file on my computer of this re-cirtification.

Apparently, Microsoft has no interest in this system and doesn't care about it any more.

You don't see any thing offensive in your prior post? Calling someone in other words a crook is not offensive? Microsoft got it's money for selling it's product onece. Microsoft is NOT the registery of motor vehicles of computers. I bought the used computer with it's program, just like you get the keys to a used car you would buy. You're not sold the car minus an ignition and door/trunk locks.

The EULA mostly is saying, any one other than origional owner is not offered support or guarantees. They also don't guarantee a copy of their product to work. Ironic this doesn" mention anything about their re-cirtification process available.  

;D To Patio,
On another site forum someone suggested what you have. Sounds like a good idea, except that if Microsoft doesn't support the system they can't be selling any more new ones.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 07:46:03 AM »

;D To Patio,
On another site forum someone suggested what you have. Sounds like a good idea, except that if Microsoft doesn't support the system they can't be selling any more new ones. [/quote]

I picked one up just last month at a College Bookstore...and the price was right.
Keep looking there are plenty out there.

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

tucker42

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 08:07:03 AM »
The only one that used the term crook is you. To transfer an opertaing system you must get the EULA, COA and hopefully the software itself. Which of those did you get? I don't think you read through the EULA but anyway you can get a copy. Just because it is unsupported does not mean it is not bound by the licensing, it is abandonware or that it is non-functional. Try eBay.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 06:40:28 AM »
I had in the past gone to the microsoft site looking for updates (which are no longer available, microsoft does not support this system any more), and I got a re-cirtification thru the process. Somewhere there is a file on my computer of this re-cirtification.
?

Did you pay any money to Microsoft at that time?

For Win9x, if you don't have the COA and/or original media, there isn't actually any other way of confirming that you have a right to run the software.

Imagine if you'd bought a CD of your favourite band.  You took a copy of the CD as a backup, then lost the original.  You no longer have any proof that you owned the original; and I'm afraid no one would take your word for it.  That reason has been used untruthfully too many times.

Going back to your problem, we have even less means of verifying the legality of what you're trying to do, and what we cannot do is post information that would enable or encourage anyone else reading this public forum to breach copyright laws.

Tucker's eBay suggestion is your best bet - you'll find media and COAs aplenty there; some legit, some not.  Take whichever choice your conscience and your wallet are comfortable with.

There's no point railing against the intellectual property system just because you don't like it by the way.  These are the rules; this is the law.  If you lose something and it's not insured, you would have to pay to replace it.  You've lost something (your COA) and now you can expect that you'll have to pay to replace it.  Sorry, but if you want to be legal, that is your only realistic option.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 08:22:12 AM »
Hi and thanks,
I don't have a bootable windows c-d, only files I burned to a c-d.

Upon booting with the startup flopy, I let it start my computer with c-d assist. At the end I get this message: Device driver not found MSCD001. No valid CDROM device drivers selected...

Try using a Windows 98SE boot disk (it has the CD-ROM drivers on it):

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Doc