Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD-RW Drive Problem  (Read 1825 times)

Doomsayer

Topic Starter

Beginner
    DVD-RW Drive Problem
    « on: July 06, 2006, 08:57:56 AM »
     Hi,  i'm having slight issues with my new DVD-RW drive,  and using it with my other drives.   my motherboard, an Intel D915GAV supports 1 IDE channel,  which was previously running a CD-RW drive and a regular DVD drive in a master/slave set-up.   i recently purchased a sony DVD-RW drive and when i installed it replacing the regular DVD drive, my motherboard would only recognize the DVD-RW drive (whether it was Master or Slave)   but it would NOT recognize it as a DVD-RW in my BIOS,  it would call it something unusual and sometimes just incoherent symbols!!!  so i then tried using it with the regular DVD drive,   still the same issues whether the DVD-RW was master or slave.   It seems the only way that my BIOS will correctly recognize the drive is by not sharing the channel.  so i only have one optical drive on my one channel.   This is something i would rather not live with.   so,  my questions to you are:  

- is this a common problem with DVD-RW drives and/or how do you solve it?
    - if it comes down to it,   is this a good PCI IDE card/ will it work for adding one or two more optical drives to my settup?   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816132005

- Windows XP SP2
    - Intel D915GAV motherboard
    - Intel D915G chipset
    - Sony DVD-RW drive
    - CD-RW drive
    - DVD drive
    - Seagate Barracuda 80 Gb HDD (SATA so prob. not relevant)

Thanks a lot!!
    « Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 12:23:48 PM by Doomsayer »

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: DVD-RW Drive Problem
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:44:30 PM »
    Well, that card only has 1 review, so that doesn't give you much to go on.  I'm not personally familiar with the Rosewill brand but Newegg seems to sell a good bit of Rosewill harware.  
    « Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 09:44:55 PM by soybean »