Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Two NICs, setup?  (Read 1834 times)

alangen

Two NICs, setup?
« on: July 06, 2006, 10:52:48 AM »
I have a computer that has 2 NICs and 2 Local Area Connections.  They both go to different IP Addresses, DNS, etc.  Is there a way to set up the computer so that certain programs access certain Local Area Connections and not the other?

Thanks for input,

Tony

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Two NICs, setup?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 03:39:53 AM »
I think you'd probably need some advanced routing software installed on the PC.  Or possibly some firewall software may be able to do this?  (Not sure about the latter - try Jetico Personal Firewall - that's the most sophisticated free Windows firewall I've encountered.)

What exactly are you trying to do?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 06:50:27 AM »
    Yes no Maybe and All of the Above, is how i would answer you question  ::)

Network Routing is complicated and annoying..

Windows by default has some routing ability. not enough , id say a fire wall could block apps thats what they do but its a mostly yes or no thing , not a you can use that one thing instead thing

I think you could do what you wan on Linux, there are a lot of Network management Programs on Linux, I'm not a Linux user but i know they exist
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

tucker42

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 03:52:32 PM »
    Well there is some great advice. What was it? Stick with Rob. He knows what he is talking about anyway.
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 03:53:46 PM by tucker42 »