Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP pavilon 512x  (Read 2110 times)

Dead_reckon

HP pavilon 512x
« on: July 06, 2006, 03:03:54 PM »
my dad recieved a HP pavilon 512x from my neighbor, she couldnt get it working... we cant either, it just keeps trying to install XP over and over and over... it gives the following message when booting from CD:

BOOT FROM CD:
No Emulation

and it acts like it is going to install xp, which, for the most part it does,  but when you reboot, it does the same thing...

we have tryed differant IDE cables, for the hard drive, cd drive, differant cd and hard drive also, the only thing i can think of is that the mobo is bad, or the chip...

it has 256mb of ram (stock) a 1.3ghz celeron chip with 256k cache (stock) board is the stock HP board...

GX1_Man

Re: HP pavilon 512x
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 03:17:45 PM »
The "No emulation" is an error code in trying to reload the operating system from a damaged set of files on the hidden partition. The best thing to do would be to get a legal copy of some kind of Windows and load it on fresh. You will not get that version to run without restore disks from HP. If your neighbor is the original owner, she may be aboe to order these for a small fee ($10-20)

Dead_reckon

Re: HP pavilon 512x
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 04:09:04 PM »
The "No emulation" is an error code in trying to reload the operating system from a damaged set of files on the hidden partition. The best thing to do would be to get a legal copy of some kind of Windows and load it on fresh. You will not get that version to run without restore disks from HP. If your neighbor is the original owner, she may be aboe to order these for a small fee ($10-20)

she gave it to us, and it says the "no emulation" thing when you boot from the cd, if you tell it to boot from the hard drive it just tells you to put in a bootable disk, and the version of win xp we are trying is legit, so was the home edition, and my dads other xp cd, we have tryed 2 xp pro legit cd's, 1 legit home, several non legits, none do anything differant, they all just keep installing... even though the hard drive is formated for one partition... we have tryed usin the FAT allocation table, and NTFS, on two differant 40 gig hard drives, both quick, and normal formatting, neither help, it always trys to run windows xp install as if it never installed anything before, but if you take the hard drive out of the computer, and put it in another, you can see that the install was started, but never finished