Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS! CANT SCREW THIS UP AGAIN  (Read 4132 times)

jen.ox

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS! CANT SCREW THIS UP AGAIN
« on: July 07, 2006, 09:01:42 AM »
People, i need real help here. i've already messed up the "family" computer about 5 times, badly. and i dont wanna do it again. so, heres my problem:
I had a shortcut of the Internet Explorer on my Desktop, but i wanted to use the MSN Explorer insitead, so i deleted the Internet Explorer that was a "shortcut"
So my mom went on and she said that she couldn't Open the Internet Explorer anymore. So i tried clicking on the My Computer so i could go to Control Panel and Everything.But, once i clicked on it, the bar at the bottom of the screen that has START disapeared and my whole desktop too,like all the icons and everything and it stayed like that for a few minutes. Then it came back, but the My Computer never came up. so i clicked on it again, and same thing happened! So, now i cant open Internet Explorer, My Computer, My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, Control Panel, Recycling bin etc. Its horrible! Somebody pleaseee help me! im young and i dont wanan get in trouble AGAINN! :'(

sodataxi

Re: PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS! CANT SCREW THIS UP A
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 09:25:20 AM »
What windows do you have?

Soda

Nitro

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 09:38:11 AM »
Firstly if your mum wanted to use Internet Explorer why did you delete the shortcut?

You could just add another shortcut on the desktop for the MSN Explorer browser.

Also have you checked its not all been dumped into the recycle bin, I've done that once myself and never even knew how i did it!

Rupununi

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 12:45:30 PM »
If all else fails, go into accessaries, system tools, then click on system restore, follow the directions and restore your computer a few days ago or before you screwed up.
been  there done that too.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 03:34:17 PM »
Windows XP?

Right-click the desktop; choose "properties".  Click the Desktop tab then the "Customize desktop" button.  Click the checkbox for Internet Explorer.  Click Ok.  Click Ok.

Sorted.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 02:23:24 PM »
Heres a better idea uninstall IE and MSN Netscape whaterver after downloading firfox ofcourse. it much faster than IE. I hear i was funded by the government thats the only thing that scares me. but its the fastest i've seen yet even running it off of a usb flash drive...
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

Arc

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 03:23:23 PM »
    If you want to open Internet explorer in windows,
    Start ---> Run
    Type: iexplore
    Press 'OK'

Viper
    You've got to stop taking life so seriously;

or you'll never make it out alive

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    « Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 02:30:24 AM »
    I hear i was funded by the government
    Really?  Which government?  That's a new one on me...

its the fastest i've seen yet even running it off of a usb flash drive...
    K-Meleon is faster.  :)

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      « Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 02:47:32 AM »
      I have a Feeling theres more Wrong with his computer than Missing Shortcuts.

What Anti Virus , and Anti Mal/Spy/Ad Ware do You use?

I hope you can Download some programs some ware else and run them on your Computer.

I recommend Getting Ewido and AVG-Free  At Least

Also Get and Run "Hijack This" and post a Log up here

Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

johnchain

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 05:59:33 PM »
      This is the most obvious case of Spyware, it's not that the windows don't show up anymore (My Computer, Documents etc...), it's just that Windows can't handle a little spyware so it either takes forever or never shows up. A kid yelling this bad scared of his mom yelling obviously this encounter is a first with this spyware. I was EXACTLY the same.....almost the exact same situation as well.  

ANY anti-spyware program will make them show up again. The shortcut is missing? Make a new one or look in the recycle.  

I think we should blame the mom for being so harsh and not using MSN explorer, kids are under a lot of stress these days.

Aha.....I stand corrected.....we should blame microsoft for having faulty software, head on over to http://www.linux.org and grab yourself some Fedora Core. In their world....spyware might as well not exist.

P.S. And why is everyone so obsessed with Firefox on windows? Sure I use it for linux, but how else am I going to check if my computer is still doing well. Whenever something screws up, Internet Explorer always seems to get hit the worst. If IE runs fast, my computer is in TIP-TOP shape.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 01:57:49 AM »
      There's some rather curious "logic" right there...

johnchain

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 08:24:29 AM »
      I will take that as a compliment  ;D