Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Sued Over Anti-Piracy  (Read 6604 times)

infoseeker

Microsoft Sued Over Anti-Piracy
« on: June 29, 2006, 11:51:45 PM »
Windows Genuine Advantage---> spyware

"The disclosure was slim to none, and it certainly isn't what we're looking for as a matter of public policy from a distinguished company like Microsoft," said Ben Edelman, a Harvard University doctoral candidate and anti-spyware researcher.

Link
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/LRXpTgCvTSZYTN/Microsoft-Sued-Over-Anti-Piracy-Software-Tool.xhtml

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Microsoft Sued Over Anti-Piracy
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 03:23:27 AM »
But if we're honest, most people who are annoyed about this are annoyed because they want to run Microsoft's software without paying for it.

Don't get mad - get Linux!!!

:D
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Dead_reckon

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 05:50:11 AM »
thats why i choose my updates, the only thing i update is security related stuff, i never install weird stuff like that, for reasons that have been mentioned...

Dmitri

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 07:23:07 PM »
u sound like pirate software user. i like this forum because like big chatroom with my friend deadlyreckon and zylstri. it nice to meet other teenager with nothing better to do who can act smart

Dead_reckon

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 11:43:49 PM »
u sound like pirate software user. i like this forum because like big chatroom with my friend deadlyreckon and zylstri. it nice to meet other teenager with nothing better to do who can act smart

we dont act smart, we ARE smart...

Dmitri

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 04:32:16 PM »
my uncle say don't brag for others see you as hot air. who is robpomeroy?? he said nice things about me.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    « Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 04:48:27 PM »
    i hate that stupid thing.. cuz it took a week before i could dl another updates... i do have a legal copy it just from 2000

abyss-of-dawn

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 12:30:45 PM »

"The disclosure was slim to none, and it certainly isn't what we're looking for as a matter of public policy from a distinguished company like Microsoft," said Ben Edelman, a Harvard University doctoral candidate and anti-spyware researcher.

Link
    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/LRXpTgCvTSZYTN/Microsoft-Sued-Over-Anti-Piracy-Software-Tool.xhtml
    from same site:
    "Microsoft effectively installed the WGA software on consumers' systems without providing consumers any opportunity to make an informed choice about that software," the suit alleges.
    very true, very true.  that thing ended up on my computer and it thinks i've pirated windows when i haven't and i did not say it could be on my computer.  also, i read in a newspaper a quote from somebody from microsoft and they said it is installed through automatic update.  yeah, i have automatic updates turned off..... :-?

abyss-of-dawn

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 12:33:55 PM »

Link
    However, even those who have questioned the behind-the-scenes activities of Windows Genuine Advantage say the Microsoft tool doesn't appear to do anything damaging.
    same site again.  yeah, as soon as it decided i was a 14 year old software pirate, my computer got hijacked or something and thus far we haven't been able to fix it.  because of this, its speed is like 700mhz when it should be 3.2ghz and i get nonstop popups while online and some while offline, not related to sites i'm on.  those still get blocked.....  :o  sure.... not damaging at all........ ;)  

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 02:05:42 PM »
    The worst we can blame on Microsoft is a questionably secure operating system. What pirates and hackers do is their responsibility. A lot of people get hacked because they leave the doors wide open with file sharing, no protection, etc.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 05:14:52 PM »
      lol hacking very bad but very fun...