Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do i uninstall my Sound Driver???  (Read 5218 times)

homer

Topic Starter

Expert
    How do i uninstall my Sound Driver???
    « on: July 07, 2006, 07:27:39 PM »
    heres what happened, i wanted to use my mic for BF2. i have a surround sound card card plugged into a PCI slot that does not have a mic input. i also have onboard surround sound that DOES have a mic input. i found out later i cannot use the PCI sound card (for my speakers) in combination with the onboard mic-input. ur default sound card HAS to have a mic-input on it.

So the drivers i installed for my onboard soundcard are not being used. i disabled the driver in my system setup, and i would like to know how i could delete this driver off my computer. (it has 2 runnning procesess linked with the driver hogging a bit of RAM.)

GX1_Man

Re: How do i uninstall my Sound Driver???
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 07:40:00 PM »
    Does it show in msconfig?

homer

Topic Starter

Expert
      « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 07:44:50 PM »
      the running procesess yes, they are as follows...

RTHDCPL.EXE and
      ALCMTR.EXE

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 07:49:02 PM »
      Can you just uncheck them?

homer

Topic Starter

Expert
        « Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 08:59:08 PM »
        i could, but that would not delete them from my comp correct?

from what ur saying, drivers (after being installed) are permentent and can NOT be deleted??
        « Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 09:00:11 PM by homer »

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 09:13:41 PM »
        Drivers can sometimes be deleted in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. YOu can also delete them in device manager. If they are needed, they will be reloaded when Windows reboots. (They won't be if they are for an itemn disable in the BIOS). Using msconfig creates a folder when you reboot the machine called Deleted Startup Items which you can store where you want. You can also reload them through msconfig later. No danger at all. The actual files would still be present on the hard drive in any case EXCEPT trhe Add and Remove Program option.

homer

Topic Starter

Expert
          « Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 09:28:56 PM »
          i uninstalled it via add/remove programs. last time i tryed to do that ,however, there was some sort of error. i dont know why it let me uninstall now. i have to restart my comp to complete the uninstallation. i hope my comp still works...

homer

Topic Starter

Expert
            « Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 09:34:28 PM »
            well my comp still works, however windows said "found new hardware" when the comp was done booting up. i guess the driver i installed from the ASUS cd is installed somewhere else on my comp...

also, those 2 procesess have been removed from my task manager.

*EDIT*

im guessing that this is the driver i got from the ASUS CD, "High Definition Audio Driver Package KB888111"

*ANOTHER EDIT*

i click "remove" for the driver mentioned above, and it says " setup has found these programs on ur computer --deusEx: invisible war way not work properly if this is removed, do u want to continue?"

deusEx is NOT the only game on my comp. why would it just select it?
            « Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 09:40:39 PM by homer »

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
              « Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 05:45:09 AM »
              Ok , if you want the Sound card to not Get installed , you need to turn it off in the Bios like GX1_man said...

But you can use it for input in BF2 if you really want to, it will be a Drag on you system tho, but as long as its on in the Bios it will be a Drag on you system any way

if you want to turn it Off, If you have an "Award" Bios (the one Ive had on my last 3 computers)

just hit Del to enter Bios
              Find Integrated peripherals
              Find On Board Sound RealTeck AC97 (Mostlikley...)
              Change Enabled to Disabled
              Hit F10, Press Y , and hit enter

If you want to use the Second sound Card as an input Device, Go to Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices , open the Recording Tab , and Change the Input Device to The Onboard Sound Card. (i have done this once Before it did work , but using 2 sound cards can Kill your system)
              Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

homer

Topic Starter

Expert
                « Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 06:37:38 PM »
                ah thank u, i will try that.