Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Messaging on LAN  (Read 10695 times)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Messaging on LAN
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 01:43:58 PM »
Yes, do what Patio said.  At the receiving computer, you should the sound of a phone ringing and a panel will pop up asking whether to Accept or Ignore.

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    « Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 02:00:47 PM »
    From a Command Prompt type ipconfig /all and hit Enter...this should report each machine's address on the network.

patio.   8-)
    It does. That wasn't my problem though ( I'm beginning to think the real problem is terminal stupidity). I have the IP addresses of the computers. I'm just not able at the moment to check both of them simultaneously.
    Tom

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 02:23:30 PM »
      Yes, do what Patio said.  At the receiving computer, you should the sound of a phone ringing and a panel will pop up asking whether to Accept or Ignore.

At least temporarily I've cured my terminal stupidity. I set up another computer on the network,; this one within sight of my main computer. Using the IP address to call, I was able to both talk, and "Chat" back and forth.

It appears, however that, in contradistinction to AIM, one must have Network Meeting Up and running (or at least minimized in the toolbar in order for it to function. Is this so; or can one put it into the SysTray?
      Tom

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 07:13:40 PM »
      If you go to Tools, Options, General, and check the box for "Run NetMeeting in the background when Windows starts.", NetMeeting will respond to a call without having to start it from the Programs menu.  You also have an option to "Show the NetMeeting icon on the taskbar."
      « Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 08:30:31 AM by soybean »

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 08:17:54 AM »
          If you go to Tools, Options, General, and check the box for "Run NetMeeting in the background when Windows starts.", NetMeeting will respond to a call without having to start it from the Programs menu.   ."

Thanks,
        Those suggestions should take care of things nicely.
        Tom

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 01:03:51 PM »
          If you go to Tools, Options, General, and check the box for "Run NetMeeting in the background when Windows starts.", NetMeeting will respond to a call without having to start it from the Programs menu.  You also have an option to "Show the NetMeeting icon on the taskbar."

For anyone interested: this option is not available under WIN98SE. It is available for those using WIN2000. The file "CONF.EXE" is a different version in each. For anyone who wants it, I will send them the WIN2000 version, although you could probably get it from Microsoft as well.
          Tom

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 01:28:41 PM »
          Tom, you may be quite right about that.  And, the solution, as you said, is to upgrade NetMeeting in Win 98SE from the verion that originally came with it to verion 3.01.  I did that, so my Win 98SE machine allows the same setting as Win XP.  

Here's the download source for NetMeeting 3.01: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/netmeeting/download/default.asp

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 02:33:48 PM »
            Here's the download source for NetMeeting 3.01: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/netmeeting/download/default.asp
            FWIW, the version with WIN2000 is 4.4.0.3385
            Tom

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 03:02:15 PM »
            If it works with Win 98SE, then OK.  Have you tried it?  The Microsoft page I cited says:

Windows NetMeeting 3.01:  

Windows NetMeeting for Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows NT 4.0.

I find it odd that the version in Win XP is 3.01.  Actually, it must be a little different than the version in the above reference.  In Win XP, NetMeeting Help shows version 3.01 (5.1.2600.2180).  In Win 98SE: version 3.01 (4.4.3388).  Makes me wonder what number you're talking about, the number in parentheses or a number before the parentheses.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 03:08:14 PM by soybean »

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 03:25:19 PM »
               In Win 98SE: version 3.01 (4.4.3388).  Makes me wonder what number you're talking about, the number in parentheses or a number before the parentheses.

There are no parenthese. I'm talking about the version of the file CONF.exe which is in the NetMeeting Folder.  The number above is displayed when you click on the Properties tab for that file.
              Tom

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 04:02:58 PM »
              The version number you see on the Properties tab for that file is the number that appears in parentheses in on the NetMeeting Help screen.  So, the version I have in Win 98SE, which I downloaded from the web page previously posted, is a little more recent than the version you have in Win 2K.
              « Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 04:04:04 PM by soybean »