Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NO LONGER ABLE TO DOWNLOAD FILES OR INSTALL  (Read 4026 times)

mannclan

NO LONGER ABLE TO DOWNLOAD FILES OR INSTALL
« on: July 08, 2006, 09:09:58 PM »
About 2 weeks ago I was attempting to download an update for my Mozilla browser, the built in download manager went through the motions of opening the download manager, and telling me the download was starting, which it never did, I have been through all my browser settings, and antivirus and firewall settings and everything appears to ok, I have also lost the ability to install new programs.
 I'm running a custom built machine with ECS mobo, AMD ATHLON 1 gig of ram, windows 2000 with sp 4, up to date trend micro A/V, windows defender & adaware se. Virus scans show nothing, spyware and adaware scans are also clean. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
THANKS IN ADVANCE,

GX1_Man

Re: NO LONGER ABLE TO DOWNLOAD FILES OR INSTALL
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 10:56:51 PM »
What is the error you are encountering? WHat else has changed? Have you tried a trojan scanner like Ewido? Have you done scans in safe mode with System Restore turned off?

mannclan

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 09:48:39 AM »
There are no errors showing up, just will not download or install anything, as far as I know nothing has changed, I'm running win 2k pro with sp 4 installed , have full admin rights, I first noticed it when either trying to upgrade my mozilla browser or my ALLDATA online account. I have not tried ewido but will, if I can get it to install.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 09:52:42 AM by mannclan »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 09:50:54 AM »
Are you using Mozilla or Firefox? When did this start and under what circumstances?

mannclan

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 05:01:47 PM »
I'm using FIREFOX with THUNDERBIRD as my e-mail client, I don't recall, any particular circumstance, and don't recall any system changes, it has been going on for a couple of weeks now, I'm wondering if something may have corrupted the operating system, I have A  copy of stinger I'm considering running to see if anything shows up with it.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 04:53:56 AM »
Try downloading the latest versions of Firefox and Thunderbird (using IE?); uninstall your previous versions, then reinstall.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

mannclan

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 12:28:15 PM »
I ran ewido and it found 5 malware/spyware incidents, tried to install the latest FIREFOX release 1.5.0.4, it would not install, I had already tried IE for my downloads with no luck.  Why would it allow ewido to install and not firefox??, I'm going to double check my permissions, and still appreciate ANY help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 05:25:11 PM »
Do you have a real Windows CD to reinstall if necessary? I just want to get that cleared up now.  ;)

mannclan

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 05:57:53 PM »
Certainly do, but I'm trying to avoid that, if you know what I mean. I've made several attempts today to install the latest firefox release, with no luck, it's funny, it let me install ewido, but firefox goes through the process of unpacking the executable and then does nothing, no warning message, no info etc. Same thing when trying to download, the download manager goes through the motions and looks as if it is downloading, but when complete it WILL NOT give you the open dialog, it still shows cancel and pause, neither of which work, and if you close firefox it tells me that x# of downloads will be cancelled, depending on how many are downloads are running, closing forefox IS the ONLY way to gain any control of the download manager back, the progress bar shows a complete download, but they are not in the folder where they were saved.
THANKS  

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 07:25:02 PM »
Have you tried using a different browser?  I mean, IE comes with Windows...
Back In The Game

mannclan

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 07:48:24 PM »
YES I HAVE TRIED IE, THATS WHY I'M LEANING TOWARDS AN OS PROBLEM

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 03:00:44 AM »
This behaviour sounds viral.

How about trying to install the Mozilla suite instead?  Or Opera?  I'd be very interested to know what happens.

If your O/S is corrupted, you can try a repair installation.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 03:25:39 AM »
    How Much Free Space Do you have on the Computer, you may not be able to finish downloads and install things because they have no ware to go
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

mannclan

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 08:37:56 AM »
    I agree that it sounds viral, I haven't tried the mozilla suite or opera, because I don't know if they will install, it seems very selective about what can install, I'm going to try the built in admin account today. As far as free space, there is nearly 9 gigs left on a 20 gig drive, as far as IE is concerned, all the SECURITY FLAWS that require this neverending plethora of security updates also comes with windows, if I wasn't so far into this computing stuff with windows software, I'd be seriouslylooking at linux much more seriously.