Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Another Help With Virus Removal  (Read 3692 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Another Help With Virus Removal
« on: July 03, 2006, 03:02:42 PM »
I swear I know this, but my brain has slowly been melting away into nothingness... Have been doing "hardware" work for the last three weeks (painting, floor refinishing, etc.), and so I can't even fathom the answers to the following simple questions.

I run AVG every day, and it always comes back clean.
I run Ad-Aware weekly, and Spybot S&D three times weekly.
I just ran Kaspersky, and it found 8 viruses, 13 infected objects, and three suspicious objects.

Some were in "c:\recycler\nprotect" - which I assume is the NOrton Protected Recycle Bin. I removed Norton, so I'm not sure why they're still around, but, anyway...

Most of them are "locked" and were "skipped".

So... What to do? Find them individually and delete them? What's cooking here?

Why am I so dumb all of a sudden?

Soon I will be singing "Bicycle Built for Two"...

Attached is the Kaspersky Report.

Thanks!
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

GX1_Man

Re: Another Help With Virus Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 04:06:24 PM »
Run ccleaner, empty the recycle bin, remove all traces of Norton. Be sure and check the web site for Symantec on how to adequately remove the Norton virus.

ccleaner.com

Do all scans in Safe Mode with System Restore turned off.  ;)

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 07:22:16 PM »
    AVG should also be set to scan all files which is NOT the default setting.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Disarmingly Good-looking
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 10:30:41 AM »
    Yeah, I HAD followed all the instructions for removing Norton - I think I swapped the engine in a 64 Ford once in less time - which is what is so troubling about it STILL showing up.

And you'll notice some of the "suspicious" files were part of the ccleaner install... Weird.

It's OK, though. Last night while moving some boxes I tripped on the cord for that laptop and pulled it down off a four-foot shelf. The little plastic case that covers the processors popped off, the CD-ROM drive popped out, and, oh, yeah - it won't restart.

Gonna attack THAT in a little bit. I'm sure you'll see my "How do I fix THIS" posts on the hardware boards.

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Mr.Paul

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 01:25:40 PM »
    that sucks about your laptop. but i have had trouble like that, just it didnt bug me so much my external drive had some 600+ viruses and such it and the software i was using never picked it up i think all the difffrent software has diffrent classificatiosn of problems like whats supicous on one might be critical on another.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 05:10:32 PM »
    I'll bet that external drive had lots of warez and other downloads. Am I right? Frequently those aren't found unless they are specifically unzipped and scanned. You have to point some scanners in the right direction as well, and keep them updated obviously. I have never heard of 600 viruses on any drive, so there was definitely something going on!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 02:00:12 PM »
    rjbinney,

You will find a Norton removal tool below...

http://www.mrtech.com/news/messages/4767.html

patio.   8-)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "