Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fedora Core Linux Install problem  (Read 3870 times)

johnchain

Fedora Core Linux Install problem
« on: July 10, 2006, 01:08:16 AM »
From the beginning...

I used perfect disk to defragment my disk drive.

Then, using partition magic 8.0, I used the install new OS option and chose linux. I have drives C: and D: (recovery). I followed the instructions by partitioning the new partition at the end of the hard drive, and set up a linux and swap partition.

As promised, it does its partitioning and boots to the new partition. I then used the linux install dvd and installed it in the new partitions. The install went fine and there were no errors. After the install, it rebooted like it said and said "missing OS."

I understood that I was supposed to run BootMagic to enable Linux as a dual-boot but I don't know how to get back to my Windows XP which should still be on the drive.

EDIT: I have realized my mistake, I did not enable boot magic prior to installation. So it never overrided the boot settings. However, I reinstalled Fedora Core with the GRUB loader and it loads linux perfectly. The problem is, when I boot back into Windows XP, it gives me an error and automatically shuts down. On the help website, it gives instructions to remove this error. However, it involves editing a registry key, I do not have the experience to install windows registry editing programs from linux (lots of things to deal with including source code). I cannot boot into Windows safe mode....How can I edit registry keys from linux or how can I edit them at all?

Thanks in Advance.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 02:18:02 AM by johnchain »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Fedora Core Linux Install problem
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 05:21:29 AM »
Can you boot from an XP CD?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

johnchain

Re: Fedora Core Linux Install problem
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 07:59:44 AM »
Well, yes....but I found the problem. So many rough errors for something so simple. Turns out, during the partitioning, PArtition Magic hid the primary partition. So in its boot sequence to come to its "Partitioning completed" message, it couldn't find the files for it since the paths were hidden. So, from the grub loader i just typed

unhide (hd0, 0)

worked like a charm.

Thanks anyways.