Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with wireless internet  (Read 2247 times)

Utaker2006

Problem with wireless internet
« on: July 08, 2006, 04:43:27 PM »
Hi, I bought a new wireless router for my house, since I've been home from school I have been using the family computer, so I thought about buying a wireless router to use both computers.

The wireless router is a D-Link one, but I'm having problems.

I go through the setup, then It tells me when tries to configure the router that there is an invalid IP address, It tells me to hold the reset button on my router and I did that but it isn't working. I tried it with the internet on and off, same message

I tried to "Add a PC" to the router but that also tells me that my IP adress is being used by another program. I have no idea what the program could be.

Any help, insight?

johnchain

Re: Problem with wireless internet
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 07:18:10 PM »
First of all, tell us what model of D-Link you have. Because I also have a D-link wireless router and I never had to go through what you are describing. What I did was....after confirming that both the router and my wireless card were set..........I went to the Windows XP network setup wizard. It connected both of them when I followed the instructions. What are the operating systems for both computers? More information please.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 07:44:41 PM »
If you have any type of encryption set on the router turn it off until this is resolved. We will await more info.  ;)

Utaker2005

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 07:52:10 PM »
I have the DI-524 H/w Ver, :C1 F/W Ver. 3.02

I was on tech support and all they manage to tell me is to unplug my modem/router for 5 minutes and replug them in, they seem like more of a hassle then a solution :\

I do not think i have an encryption set on it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 07:58:44 PM »
There is a small button that you can press to set it to default. The settings on it should be made through a wired not a wireless connection. After it is set, you can have nothing but wireless if you choose.  ;)

Utaker2005

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 08:05:26 PM »
If you mean the reset button on the back, I have tried that with tech support, I held it in for 10 seconds, I unplugged the modem and the the router, still nothing. After the third call with tech support I thought I'd try you guys :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 08:22:30 PM »
Do you have a lot  of local traffic on that channel in the neighborhood? 9The default is channel 6.) Check from your wireless machine with "site survey" or whatever is offered. That's what it's called with a D-Link wireless card, but you didn't specify yours. If other routers show up try Channel 8. Did you read the manual about SSID, etc.?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 05:02:48 AM »
Can you take the router and a PC to the bottom of the garden and try it there?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos