Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DSL and Router Problem  (Read 2236 times)

fatali

DSL and Router Problem
« on: July 10, 2006, 04:16:52 PM »
I have a Verizon supplied Westell 6100 and a Linksys BEFSR41 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router. I've searched Goole, and followd the instructions posted by Verizon, but I cannot get the Internet IP to be assigned to the Router instead of the Westell. I've set ithe modem  to Bridge mode and turned of DHCP, I've even tried PPPoE, but the modem says it does not detect a PPPoE connection so it may be that Verizon does not use it, I wouldn't know. Anyone experience a similar problem and come across a solution?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: DSL and Router Problem
    « Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 05:28:25 PM »
    I'm not familiar with the Westell 6100 modem but some of these devices come enabled with DHCP as a combo modem/router.  Is that the case here?  If so, don't use the Linksys router but instead use a hub or switch as you don't need the router.  

Alan <><   ::)
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

royphil345

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 05:46:10 PM »
    Go here. http://www.broadbandreports.com/ No broadband problem too big for these folks.

In the forums, you'll probably be able to talk directly with Verizon techs.

I have AT&T DSL. When adding a wireless router to my system, I found it worked best to leave the modem settings alone (original)and let the modem manage the connection.  Setting the router to a more passive mode (DHCP)

I lucked out and my wireless network is working great without my having to learn a great deal about it!!!
    « Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 05:48:29 PM by royphil345 »

fatali

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 06:18:11 PM »
    No, it's not the DHCP setting.. I know about that, that's what I was using with my switch. But, that modem- Gateway device- has not DMZ setting so therefore, I could not host a server using it. I did however finaly get it to play nice with my Linksys router so now it gets the internet IP so I can use it's DMZ setting.  Thanks though.