Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows not recognizing mass storage devices!  (Read 3336 times)

bionixon

Windows not recognizing mass storage devices!
« on: July 11, 2006, 10:17:49 AM »
Yesterday, for no obvious reason, Windows "decided" not to recognized my USB hub!  The CPU is an AMD Sempron 2400+ with  1.68 GHz and 512MB or RAM.  Windows XP Home Edition was installed before purchase.  For two years now, I have had no problem with any mass storage devices such as the hub, memory stick, or iPOD.  The Device Manager now reads them as an "unknown device".  They are functional, though, working well on our laptop!  Windows recognizes all other devices (printer, camera) in the same USB ports.   I ran all Windows updates and checked for drivers, but none are listed.  I am completely confused and not computer savvy enough to figure it out!  HELP!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows not recognizing mass storage devices!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 10:47:57 AM »
Try using the Safely Remove Hardware Tab in the tra area and dis-connect the device ...then do a shutdown and re-boot without the device plugged in. Shut down, re-connect the device and re-boot.

Does this help ?

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bionixon

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 01:59:07 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not help.  The same alert pops up saying "Device has malfunctioned.....not recognized....".   Yet, the device does work on the laptop, therefore it has not malfunctioned.  IT's just not logical.

Irro

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 03:27:43 PM »
Try to restore the old drivers through the hardware device  menu

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 03:40:35 PM »
OK suggestion #1 didn't work ...let's try suggestion #2.
Go to Control Panel/ System/ Hardware/ Device Manager and scroll down to your USB hub listings...they will be at the bottom.
Right clik each one and select "Remove"...you will get a warning message/ ignore it. Do this for all USB hubs listed. Close out of Device Manager and re-boot the machine.
XP will automatically re-install your USB device drivers on restart.

patio.   8-)

bionixon

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 07:37:49 PM »
OK, I uninstalled all 4 USB hubs (including the one with the mouse) then closed the device manager and rebooted.   As you said, the drivers were reinstalled automatically.  I tried the memory stick, but the same message appeared:     "... not recognized".  In the device manager, it lists "unknown device".  The mouse and printer continue to work just fine in those ports.   Thank you for your suggestions....any more?  

Bionixon

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 10:30:27 PM »
Is the laptop running XP as well ? ? ?

patio.

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Re: Windows not recognising mass storage devices!
    « Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 03:51:29 AM »
    Are you Still Using The External USB HUB to Test your USB Devices, if you are , try Putting your Memory Stick Straight in to the Computer
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

bionixon

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 07:46:08 AM »
    I did insert the memory stick directly into the computer.   THe laptop has Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005.  It's strange, when I inserted the stick, a message popped up saying "New hardware found" then another saying "Driver installed and ready for use", but....a few seconds later the same message appears saying device not recognized by Windows.    

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 01:45:46 PM »
    bionixon:

It sounds like the memory stick is shot.  Try a different one to see if you get the same results, or try the memory stick in a different computer.  As for the iPOD, you may have to reset it or reinstall the latest iPOD and iTunes software update.

Doc
    « Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 01:49:58 PM by pcdoc4christ »

bionixon

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 07:10:07 PM »
    Doc
    Thanks for the input.  I did try another stick and also used the same one on my laptop.  They are both functional, but not on the PC.  I'm completely baffled.  Do I have a screwed up Windows suddenly?   What could cause it to work fine one minute and not the next? :P
    Meanwhile, I am enjoying reading the other posts in the forum!  I hope to eventually participate!

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      « Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 03:18:57 AM »
      Your USB ports are Broken , just broken, is what i surmise at this point
      Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 02:38:14 AM »
      Bionixon:

Panboy might be correct.  Another possibility: The drivers for the USB host controllers and root hubs are corrupted.  Try uninstalling the USB host controllers and root hubs in Device Manager and restarting the PC so Windows will reinstall the drivers (you might need the Windows CD or manufacturer's CD that came with the PC if Windows asks for it).

Doc  

bionixon

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 07:31:27 PM »
      Doc, you wrote "(you might need the Windows CD or manufacturer's CD that came with the PC if Windows asks for it). "  I don't have a CD, so I'm afraid to perform the uninstall if I will need it.   I have already uninstalled the root hubs and restarted, etc. but the problem still occurs.  You are suggesting to remove the USB host controllers, too....that appears to be everything relating to USB on the PC?  THis sounds like you might be correct, but I'm hesitant w/o the CD.....should I take my chances?

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 11:54:54 PM »
        What's the OS on your PC.
        Vibhor Kumar Agarwal