Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard blown  (Read 2504 times)

magic_plank

Motherboard blown
« on: July 10, 2006, 03:21:27 PM »
Hi,
For some inexplicable reason, my motherboard started emanating little wisps of smoke when I tried to turn it on the other day. On closer inspection, 2 of what look like tiny tiny fuses had burnt out. Is this irrepairable?

royphil345

Re: Motherboard blown
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 05:07:30 PM »
I mess around repairing my own electronics... Have about a 50/50 success rate ;)...

If I see tiny parts burning up on a mainboard, I'm throwing it out. I don't think those things were built, or meant to be repaired by humans!!! (Outside of maybe replacing a battery or larger capacitor that's leaking.)

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 06:03:13 PM »
They were probably capacitors and there is no point and very little success trying to repair a problem like this. I hope your other components are not affected from this problem. As you have learned a smoking motherboard is NOT a good sign.

homer

Expert
    « Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 09:31:45 PM »
    Hi,
    For some inexplicable reason, my motherboard started emanating little wisps of smoke when I tried to turn it on the other day. On closer inspection, 2 of what look like tiny tiny fuses had burnt out. Is this irrepairable?

fuses?? ive never heard of a motherboard having a fuse. more probably a diode or resistor.
    « Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 09:34:26 PM by homer »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 11:58:46 AM »
    Hi,

Warranty ? ?

patio.   8-)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

magic_plank

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 02:06:30 PM »
    Alas, no. I probably voided any warranty opening it up to add a DVD ROM drive and and a floppy drive. (this didnt cause the problem, btw.)

Sogekihei

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 02:25:37 PM »
    If it was a capacitor it IS possible to sodder a new one on, if you know the exact voltage of the capacitor and what not.  Similar things are done to volt mod GPU's.  Also this might be a good time, not to mention excuse, to upgrade your mobo.

homer

Expert
      « Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 06:32:54 PM »
      i HIGHLY recommend NOT hardware moddifying the motherboard unless u are an experianced technician and have the appropriate tools. installing the WRONG hardware or installing it INCORRECTLY can cause a fire. Also there are MANY heat-sensitive electronic components on the motherboard.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 07:32:04 PM »
      This is not a good time to try to learn soldering.  ::)