Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help please lappy wont boot  (Read 3270 times)

evenstevenuk

help please lappy wont boot
« on: July 13, 2006, 02:13:20 PM »
my daughters laptop wont boot,,,god knows what shes done,,,,im getting the message pxe-e61 media test failure check cable,,,,,the laptop is a patriot 3070,,, i have looked in the bios andand the 1st boot device is on intel undi and available options also has cd/dvd and disabled,,,,can someone please help b4 i trash this lappy please.

royphil345

Re: help please lappy wont boot
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 03:14:37 PM »
Hard to say...

The computer is set to try and boot from a network first.  The "pxe-e61 media test failure check cable,,,,,"  message would be normal when the computer's not connected to a network you can boot from. The computer should probably just try to boot from the device next in line. You could try the  "CD / DVD" or"disabled" options, but it really doesn't look like that's the problem. The computer's probably freezing the instant it tries to boot from the hard drive

My guess would be a badly corrupted hard drive (virus or just something caused by some touchy software, improper shutdown, etc...) or a damaged hard drive (they break pretty easily if a laptop is dropped).

Could try a format and reinstallation of Windows. Or boot to a CD that will test your hard drive. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

evenstevenuk

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 03:29:47 PM »
cheers mate,,, im downloading it now,,,will put on disc if i can then try it in the lappy,,,,is it easy enough to do?

royphil345

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 04:05:38 PM »
Honestly, I haven't used it. I use #1-TuffTEST which is on a floppy and tests most of the hardware without using different applications. You don't have a floppy drive so...  Alot of people recommend this CD. I'm actually downloading it now also. I'm going to check it out.

I imagine some files are loaded on the hard drive to run the tests. If it's completely dead, you may not be able to run any tests.

Good luck with "Lappy"!!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 04:18:04 PM by royphil345 »

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 04:16:29 PM »
Do you have a real Windows CD to reinstall/repair if needed?

royphil345

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 10:05:27 PM »
The "Ultimate Boot CD" seems like a winner for free. A little confusing with all the stuff on it.

Was able to successfully test my Seagate and Western Digital brand drives with the IBM / Hitachi test. The Memtest memory test worked well.

Just download the self-extracting file. After double clicking the file, select where you want the ISO file to end up. Burn the ISO disk image to a disk using any CD burning software that will create a disk from an ISO image (I used Nero).

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 03:24:52 AM »
I know this is being extremely fussy, but why "lappy"?  How much harder is it to type or say "laptop"?!

;)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 04:01:48 AM »
Rob, that saves one whole letter.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 04:58:19 AM »
And you just wasted 26 of 'em.

Swings and roundabouts.

;)

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 05:41:09 AM »
A lappy is just  a mobile compy.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 06:25:22 AM »
moby compy

:P