Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AOL  (Read 2365 times)

topconker

AOL
« on: July 13, 2006, 06:51:26 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question but,
I am having real problems with accessing AOL via broadband connection.
They have even sent a new modem but each time I try to log on the same message comes up "Unable to connect to AOL".
I'm now told there is no IP address and AOL have been totally useless in letting me have one, does anyone have any idea how I can get over this? I have been unable to connect now for 8 days.
Cheers,
TC

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: AOL
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 08:33:11 AM »
    my friend had some problem just like that but for dail up and it wouldnt recongize the internal modem. even after we got her an external modem she still could not get the access numbers and of course aol's awsome tech support"umm... i cannt figure out the problem hold on ill transfer you to someone else..." i waited about 5 mins then i hung up and we ordered her earthlink.. and know i guess shes not haveing any problems connecting.. but the funny thing is she could connect to my broadband(earthlink) at my house with her computer and aol dail up screenname and password.. i think aol is going down the pooper and fast. thank goddness

T-Chai

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 12:32:01 PM »
    Is that on a start up page?
    Which version of AOL are you using?
    About the IP adress you can might have to refresh it:

If you are using Windows 95/98/ME, click the Start button, then click Run. In the "open" field, enter "winipcfg" (no quotes). Once the IP address window appears, select your ethernet card from the dropdown list, and click the "Release All" button. Once the numbers in the window are reset to zeros, click the "Renew All" button. It might take a few minutes for your computer to respond to the buttons; don't click the buttons more than once!

If you are using Windows NT/2000/XP, click the Start button, then click Run. In the "open" field, enter "command". On the prompt line, type "ipconfig /release" (no quotes). When the prompt appears again, type "ipconfig /renew" (no quotes). Once finished, type "exit" in the prompt line.

topconker

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 01:32:15 AM »
    Hi Elixir,
    I'm using AOL 9.0 and my PC runs on 2000 Professional.
    Finally spoke to the level 2 agent on AOL last night who tells me the TCP/IP files are missing and I need to re-install them.
    The info you kindly posted , will it do this?
    Cheers,
    TC

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 02:26:21 AM »
    Finally spoke to the level 2 agent on AOL last night who tells me the TCP/IP files are missing and I need to re-install them.
    Methinks the level 2 agent is bullsh*tting you.

Ask them for detailed instructions on how to "reinstall the TCP/IP files".  Bet you they can't give them.

Can you browse any part of the internet at all?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

topconker

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 03:28:39 AM »
    Methinks the level 2 agent is bullsh*tting you.

Ask them for detailed instructions on how to "reinstall the TCP/IP files".  Bet you they can't give them.

Can you browse any part of the internet at all?

Have'nt tried any other site, will try tonight but notice the green light on the modem which should flash when connected remains constanly on.

I have been given a re-install method suggesting:

Control Panel
    R click into Connections & Properties
    General tab
    Click Install
    Select Protocol
    Add
    Select TCP/IP

I also have Elixir kind suggestion on this thread.

All suggestions are really appreciated.
    TC

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 04:55:42 AM »
    That won't resintall the TCP/IP files if they're already present on your system.  Besides, we haven't established where the problem lies.

Try a ping test.  Please bring up a command prompt and enter
    ping www.google.com
    then cut and paste the results (right click and select "mark" to select the text and copy to the clipboard).
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos