Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: opening files with extensions .cpi , .sys and .com  (Read 3950 times)

naresh

opening files with extensions .cpi , .sys and .com
« on: July 19, 2006, 11:54:19 AM »
hi,

i created a boot floopy from win xp and could successfully run it also. i later copied the contents of the floopy to hard disk . i want to open files in the floopy with extensions .cpi , .sys and .com and also want to view their coding . can any one help me do that??
naresh

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
Re: opening files with extensions .cpi , .sys and
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 01:38:31 PM »
I'm not sure what you intend to find, but .sys, .com, and .cpi files are the result of runnning source code thru a processor program (ex. an Assembler). Try using a Hex Editor

8-)
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 08:09:07 PM »
    Isn't a .sys file plain text? (If not, I'm sorry for the confusion; it's been years since I worked on a machine that had a config.sys in use and even then I wasn't interested in it. Can't think of any other .sys files off the bat...)
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 04:53:36 AM »
    There are exceptions (config.sys may be the only text file), but most .sys files are drivers ( ex. himem.sys and a truckload of others)

8-)
    The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein