Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laser v. inkjet - need your advice  (Read 2570 times)

RussLA

Laser v. inkjet - need your advice
« on: July 14, 2006, 02:18:09 PM »
I'm just about to buy a multifunction printer (print/copy/scan/fax) and can't decide whether a laser or inkjet is best for me.

I've done a lot of research, so I'm familiar with what's available, but there's still not a clear answer for me.

I was all set to get the Canon Pixma MP830, and then I happened to read the box on one of the replacement cartridges (each color has its own separate cartridge).  It said you need to use up the ink in no more than 6 months.  And then I had a friend tell me that the ink will eventually dry up if you don't use it up fast enough.   Since I don't do a lot of printing, that's an issue for me.  I haven't had to worry about that with my current printer since it's a laser (HP LaserJet 4L).  To show you what I mean, my first toner cartridge lasted about 8 years.  Unfortunately, that HP 4L doesn't work with my new computer (technology too old).

I like the idea of having color with the inkjet at a reasonable price.  However, there is the issue of higher ongoing costs with print cartridge replacements.  If I got a laser, it would be just black & white since the color lasers are way too expensive for me.  That would be a higher initial cost, but much lower ongoing costs.

So I guess my biggest question is:  With inkjet printers, is it true that you have to replace the cartridges at least every 6 months, even if the ink isn't used up?

Also, do you have any other thoughts on this whole issue?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laser v. inkjet - need your advice
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 05:28:10 PM »
    I guess for me "cost is relative".  What one person can't afford, another can.  The other thing is...do you really need a color printer?  I use my HP PhotoSmart 1115 for my color stuff (which is rare when I use it, and the ink hasn't dried up yet after almost a year).  I haven't had to replace any of the ink cartridges to date.

I have a Brother HL-5040 laser and have printed several THOUSAND pages and have yet to replace the toner cartridge.  If these had been printed on an ink-jet, it would not be cost effective.

So yes, you are right in that the initial output in $ is a lot, but in the long run I believe you'll save money.  :P

Hope this helps.

Alan <><
    « Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 05:34:27 PM by ale52 »
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 05:59:11 PM »
      RussLA.........
      So I guess my biggest question is:  With inkjet printers, is it true that you have to replace the cartridges at least every 6 months, even if the ink isn't used up?

Also, do you have any other thoughts on this whole issue?

First , I would say it depends on what you wish to use the 3 in 1 for ........
      after having said that , I use a cannon PIXMA IP 5000 printer , which has 5 ink cartridges ........ and I have not had any of the cartridges dry up and require replacement . Further , the printer I had before that was a HP Inkjet as well and never had any issue with the ink cartridges drying up ......
      If ink cartridges had a life span of 5 or 6 months as your friend has suggested , then you would expect to find a best before date clearly marked on the Cannon cartridge packaging ......... there isn't any .
      I have seen printers , develop clogged print heads ......... but thats a differant issue .
      You might wish to check on the replacement cost of a cartridge for a laser printer ...... you may be shocked at the cost .......
      Inkjet printers ( decent quality ones ) are really inexpensive ........these days .
      Plus they offer the option of colour printing at relatively low cost .
      When I had to recently replace a printer , I looked for one that had ....... a minimal number of ink cartridges and the largest ink capacity .
      You know what your usage will be ....so the verdict is yours.

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 06:49:41 PM »
      Black is really all you need 95% of the time, as you eloquently put it. Two printers could be the most cost efficient yet if you do need color occasionally.

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
        There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

RussLA

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 01:51:50 AM »
        Thanks, folks.  I appreciate your input.  I think I just need more time to mull things over.  There's no easy answer at this point.

Nice article, Hopester.  I've read several along those same lines.  Thanks.  

Russ
        « Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 02:02:49 AM by RussLA »