Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 10 gigs missing!  (Read 5042 times)

altsoba

10 gigs missing!
« on: July 18, 2006, 01:52:01 AM »
Alright, so I will admit first, that I am an idiot.  I really did create my own problem.  I'm sorry to bother everyone with trying to fix it.

I bought a new Compaq computer.  They don't include CD's anymore to restore, they put it on 10 gigs of my hard drive which made me crazy.  I took a brand new windows disk, put it in, and went to reformat (I hate all the crap they include with their computers) I noticed that I had the option to delete the "D" drive (The recovery drive) so I did, thinking that it would add the 10 gigs to my "C" drive... well... it didn't.  Now that drive and the space is missing.  Does anyone know how to recover it?

sk8punk49

Re: 10 gigs missing!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 02:04:54 AM »
Wow, first off, i wanna say, That was extremly stupid....i dont know alot about computers, but i would take back to the dealership and ask them for help. You said you just bought it right? well all new computers have a warenty....show them the warenty, and get a new computer :P........but hey thats just my opinion, or you could wait untill a smarter person replys to your question

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 02:57:10 AM »
Might be a good idea not to make derogatory references to other posters' actions.

If you really want just the one drive using all the hard drive space, you need to repartition.  During the Windows install process, you would need to delete BOTH partitions, then create a new single partition in all of the available space.  Yes, this would wipe out all of your data.

If you have no recovery disks, you will not be able to install any of Compaq's bespoke drivers or the additional software they may have included with the computer.  You should go to the support section of their website and see what is available for download - especially drivers.  If you can get everything working this way and don't need all the "bonus" software, you can continue on your way.

I must confess that I would find 10GB a little excessive, too.  Unless it were in the context, say, of an 800GB hard drive...
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    « Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 03:45:36 AM »
    Mr Sk8Punk, I now don't like you.

As for the Loss of 10Gig's to Recovery Programs , i would also have Deleted it, But i would have made sure to burn a copy of its contents first. At Least backed up the Contained Drivers

I hate that Recovery Method , what if your HDD Breaks ? or your FAT table gets infected? then you do not have copy of windows to put on a new Disk , and your Quite Boned
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

altsoba

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 07:52:45 AM »
    Thanks for the good suggestions!  (Minus the first guy :) )

I'll try it out and (hopefully) get back to you!

altsoba

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 12:04:15 PM »
    Rob, thanks a ton.  That was easy... I don't know why I never thought of it.  I appreciate your help.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 02:06:35 AM »
    No problem.  Glad you're sorted.  Come back if you have any other questions.  :)
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos