Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Do I need a boot disk or what?  (Read 1959 times)

dhorsman2000

Do I need a boot disk or what?
« on: July 15, 2006, 06:59:27 PM »
Please help me out with this guys, and be aware that I am a complete idot when it comes to computers  :-[  so spell it out as in detail as possible  ::) I just bought this laptop off of ebay and I knew it didn't have an operating system so I took my win98 boot disk and pluged it in. I get to boot menu in BIOS (I think) and select hard drive and it says invalid system disk. Do I need a new boot disk? everything up until that point seems to work ok it does the ram passed screen at first start and then it goes right to  boot menu. Should I down load a boot disc on a CD from my desktop and try it on my laptop? Where is a good place to get a  bootdisc for windows xp?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Dewey

PS sorry if this is in the wrong forum
if it helps it is a Micron Transport Treck 2

dhorsman2000

Re: Do I need a boot disk or what?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 08:30:54 AM »
anyone? PLEASE?  :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 08:36:14 AM »
Folks are just waking up where I live.  ;)

What you need to do is set the machine to boot from CD first and if you have a bootable CDROM you are all set to load.

If you do NOT have a bootable CDROM, set the machine to boot from floppy first and download a file to make a boot floppy from at www.bootdisk.com

If you do not have a floppy drive, then we will have to do something else.

Setting it to boot fom a blank hard drive will present the problem you describe. You have to get a bootable device to load the operating system.

dhorsman2000

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 01:39:28 PM »
[highlight]"What you need to do is set the machine to boot from CD first and if you have a bootable CDROM you are all set to load. ""[/highlight]

Is this where I hold F2 down and go to the boot menu, then + or - until the CD-Rom option goes to the top?

[highlight]"If you do NOT have a bootable CDROM, set the machine to boot from floppy first and download a file to make a boot floppy from at www.bootdisk.com"[/highlight]

Can I do this with my CD burner and CD-R discs? or do I need another type disc? I've tried burning a CD from bootdisc.com and then setting the CD rom to boot first, but no luck, maybe I'm doing something wrong??

Thanks for the help !!!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 01:43:17 PM »
[highlight]"What you need to do is set the machine to boot from CD first and if you have a bootable CDROM you are all set to load. ""[/highlight]

Is this where I hold F2 down and go to the boot menu, then + or - until the CD-Rom option goes to the top?

This is where you enter the BIOS/Setup area and choose the boot order. The exact key combination to get their should be on screen when the  machine starts up. (What make and model is this?)

[highlight]"If you do NOT have a bootable CDROM, set the machine to boot from floppy first and download a file to make a boot floppy from at www.bootdisk.com"[/highlight]

Can I do this with my CD burner and CD-R discs? or do I need another type disc? I've tried burning a CD from bootdisc.com and then setting the CD rom to boot first, but no luck, maybe I'm doing something wrong??

The file should not be copied to a CDR directly. It has to be burned as an ISO by Nero or some other program. That will make it bootable.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=how+to+burn+iso