Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook express  (Read 4722 times)

loopy_lynda

Outlook express
« on: July 16, 2006, 05:23:20 AM »
Hi, I'm a Computer Hope virgin!  Is this the right forum for questions on Outlook Express? :)

GX1_Man

Re: Outlook express
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 06:36:27 AM »
Yep. Ask away.  ;)

loopy_lynda

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 07:56:54 AM »
Yep. Ask away.  ;)

Thanks.  The problem is, when I start OE, the status bar may say, for example, you have 3 new messages, when there is actually only 1 new message and I don't understand what's going on!  Any ideas?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 08:42:04 AM »
This refers to messages that are unread, Usually they are bolded until you look at them. Scroll up and see if there are any bolded entries above what you are looking at (out of sight).

loopy_lynda

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 09:26:43 AM »
This refers to messages that are unread, Usually they are bolded until you look at them. Scroll up and see if there are any bolded entries above what you are looking at (out of sight).

Thanks. Yes, new messages are shown in bold, and the Folders list displays how many new messages you've got in each folder.  But, the status bar shows one number and the folders list in the preview pane shows a different number of new messages. I just wondered if anyone else had had this problem.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 10:04:30 AM »
Do you normally have no unread messages when you retrieve new mail?  And, then, after retreiving mail, the total of new/unread messages appearing in ALL folders is less than the number shown in the status bar.  Is that right?  Is this difference always the same?

loopy_lynda

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 10:30:04 AM »
Do you normally have no unread messages when you retrieve new mail?  And, then, after retreiving mail, the total of new/unread messages appearing in ALL folders is less than the number shown in the status bar.  Is that right?  Is this difference always the same?

I clear any new messages before i shut down at the end of the day.
I check for new messages first thing in the morning. The total number of new messages shown in ALL the folders is often, but not always, less than the number shown in the status bar.
I haven't noticed if the difference is always the same.
Today, the status bar showed 4 new messages, but only one showing in folders.
I've checked the source of my email accounts to see if there are any emails there that are not showing in OE folders, but there are not!
It's a mystery to me.
I'm not aware of any important emails going astray, but it still bugs me!

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 10:37:31 AM »
What do you mean by "checked the source of my email accounts"?  How did you "check"?  Can you access your email via web browser?  

loopy_lynda

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 10:46:14 AM »
Yes. I can log onto the different web sites where i have web based mail accounts, and check there. Then i log out again 'cos OE doesn't like it if I don't.
Does that help?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 10:55:58 AM »
So, you have multiple web-based email accounts, right?  Do you have OE setup to retrieve mail for all those accounts?  Is these setup in OE as POP3, IMAP, or HTTP accounts?

Having to logoff a web-based "cos OE doesn't like it" sounds strange to me.  I normally use OE for my personal Earthlink (POP3) email account.  I can logon by web browser.  OE couldn't care less whether I logoff of my browser access to my email before I retrieve with OE.  

Reason I mentioned web access to your email is that it could be a way of verifying how many messages you should receive if you immediately retrieve with OE.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 10:57:26 AM by soybean »

loopy_lynda

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 11:13:04 AM »
So, you have multiple web-based email accounts, right?  Do you have OE setup to retrieve mail for all those accounts?  Is these setup in OE as POP3, IMAP, or HTTP accounts?

Having to logoff a web-based "cos OE doesn't like it" sounds strange to me.  I normally use OE for my personal Earthlink (POP3) email account.  I can logon by web browser.  OE couldn't care less whether I logoff of my browser access to my email before I retrieve with OE.  

Reason I mentioned web access to your email is that it could be a way of verifying how many messages you should receive if you immediately retrieve with OE.

Yes, OE is all set up to receive my different accounts, both POP3 and IMAP accounts.
I shouldn't normally have to log onto the different web sites to check my mail, that's the whole point of using OE. OE doesn't mind if i'm still logged into a POP3 account, it's just sometimes it doesn't like it if i've left the IMAP mail box open. It's not a problem.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 11:23:04 AM »
I shouldn't normally have to log onto the different web sites to check my mail, that's the whole point of using OE.
I know that.  Again, "Reason I mentioned web access to your email is that it could be a way of verifying how many messages you should receive if you immediately retrieve with OE."  I was suggesting this as a troubleshooting technique, not a regular procedure.

I don't know what else to say on your issue.  You do have a rather complicated email situation.  Perhaps you can simplify it some.  Do you really need all the accounts you have?  

With Earthlink, I can create multiple email accounts (the max is 5 or 8, I'm not sure).  So, no need to go elsewhere to create email accounts.  This makes setting up the accounts in OE easier.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 11:23:46 AM by soybean »

loopy_lynda

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 11:44:07 AM »
I shouldn't normally have to log onto the different web sites to check my mail, that's the whole point of using OE.
I know that.  Again, "Reason I mentioned web access to your email is that it could be a way of verifying how many messages you should receive if you immediately retrieve with OE."  I was suggesting this as a troubleshooting technique, not a regular procedure.

I don't know what else to say on your issue.  You do have a rather complicated email situation.  Perhaps you can simplify it some.  Do you really need all the accounts you have?  

With Earthlink, I can create multiple email accounts (the max is 5 or 8, I'm not sure).  So, no need to go elsewhere to create email accounts.  This makes setting up the accounts in OE easier.

Hey, sorry if i sounded rude, I really didn't mean to. Sure you know the advantage of using OE, i was just letting you know that i know. And yes, i've only checked my mail on the web as a trouble shooting exercise, as you say.
I don't really see the setup as complicated, it's just 3 Yahoo accounts which i need for my email students and my own Tiscali account for my personal mail.
But many thanks anyway for trying to help, it's much appreciated. :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 12:05:40 PM »
I still suspect "unread" messages to be the culprit...scroll thru all 4 accounts and check for these.

It's also possible you're actually more popular than you think !   :D :D

patio.   8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

loopy_lynda

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 12:11:11 PM »
Hey, thanks for that, you've made me smile. :)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 07:33:03 AM »
Can I strongly recommend that you move away from the insecure virus fest that is Outlook Express, and consider >Thunderbird<?  Or MS Outlook.  But not OE.  Learn to be very suspicious of anything MS gives away for free.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos