Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD Rom Troubles  (Read 3125 times)

Faith Andrews

CD Rom Troubles
« on: September 06, 2004, 11:37:02 AM »
All rite. I have been here once and you guys helped lol I'll be here again when I start working on the other computer. Here's the story. I reinstalled MS DOS 6.22 on to this computer of my sisters. (Once I fix it I am NEVER touching it again lol) Then I got Windows 3.1 installed on it as well. I have the Windows 98 installation CD but I can't get the CD ROM to work. I have tried to install it (because I couldn't find it listed anywhere and it wasn't working) but when I turn on the computer now it says it can't find the MSCD001 (or something close to that) drive. I don't really know to much about the computer because it came down the family line (my uncle got it from somewhere, then to one sister, then the other). Plz help! and if you want pictures or more info just tell me and I'll try to understand  :P Thanks!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: CD Rom Troubles
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 12:39:05 PM »
    Faith Andrews........Why are you trying to install all those differant operating systems........I'm not surprised your having problems......It sounds like you have 2 o/s and your trying to put on a 3 rd ......how big is your hard drive or drives and how are they partitioned ?

let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 12:42:46 PM »
    You can use a bootdisk when installing Windows 98, it may be able to access your CD-ROM drive by doing so.

http://www.bootdisk.de
    « Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 12:43:00 PM by Raptor »

Faith Andrews

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 01:09:31 PM »
    I am trying to replace the Windows 3.1 with the Windows 98... Once the Windows 98 is on there I am deleting Window 3.1 And the MS DOS is... just kinda there...

I'll try the boot disk and get back to ya. :) Thanks

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 01:17:50 PM »
    Are you trying to install Windows 98 on the same partition or on a different one?

If you are considering overwriting Windows 3.1 than I suggest you format first before installing Windows 98.

Overwriting an operating system is not a very good idea. Unless you are given the option to upgrade.