Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: max. no of devices..harmful??  (Read 3014 times)

karthik316_1999

max. no of devices..harmful??
« on: July 16, 2006, 12:09:30 PM »
just wanted to know if connecting the max no. of IDE devices(4) in my case would slow down the overall access speed and performance of my system....?

got a SATA HDD
a cd-rom,combo drive,dvd-writer and an IDE HDD>..

any ideas for the best combination for master and slave??

homer

Expert
    Re: max. no of devices..harmful??
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 12:13:33 PM »
    it should not slow down your computer at all by adding more IDE devices. as for master and slave combinations, it really doesnt matter, whatever floats your boat. ;)

karthik316_1999

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 06:47:40 PM »
    thanks homer...but in my pc i got now,i have my HDD and cd-rom put on the primary master and slave...and the combo drive on a individual cable as the secondary master..

whenever i copy data from a cd to the HDD,the time taken by the cd-rom drive is much much more when compared to the time taken when i copy the same data from the combo drive...both are 52x drives..why is this then??

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 07:32:22 PM »
    I'm assuming the power supply is up to all of this.   ;)

Try the Primary hard drive on IDE 1 Master and the most used ROM device (the combo drive?) on IDE2 master. Your transfer rate should be better. do you have DMA mode on/

karthik316_1999

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 07:25:56 AM »
    u mean the power supply affetcs the data tranfer speed??? i gotta 300w power supply...

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 03:55:07 PM »
    I mean the power supply can affect the proper functioning of the computer. Is 300w enough for 6 hard drives and the other components? Here's an estimator:

http://journeysystems.com/power_supply_calculator.php
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:55:42 PM by GX1_Man »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 07:06:52 PM »
    Karthic:

GX1's advice is sound, as the CD-ROM drive will slow down the hard drive connected to it as a slave.  You might consider using the hard drive connected to the same controller as the optical drive for backups or storing files you will not use often.  

Doc

karthik316_1999

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 08:31:05 AM »
    cool :)