Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Send video to TV  (Read 3362 times)

matt

Send video to TV
« on: July 16, 2006, 01:06:25 PM »
Hey all,

I have an old computer I want to set up as a multimedia "server".  I have pod/vidcast etc on the HDD and want to be able to play on my TV in a different room.  I know about s-video/composite but from what I understand these degreade over distance, my my distance is a good 15 meters.  I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how i could send video from the computer to the tv over this distance with minimal degredation.

I have a cable box if that helps/makes things worse and the room with the computer is not where the cable enters the house.

Thanks for your ideas!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Send video to TV
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 01:19:49 PM »
I never used s-video/composite, but I thought perhaps some type of amplifier could be used for this.  Take a look at this: 4-Way S-Video AV Distribution Amplifier.  I see this a UK site.  Google s-video/composite signal booster for more.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 01:38:31 PM »
i have my TV hooked up to my S-video, rigged a cable. i had an old gamecube video cable that didnt work anymore, so i cut the S-video head off of it, wired it to a composite jack, plugged it into my tv and computer, and viola, it worked, but it is very fuzzy, so is my brothers setup, he paid about 25 bucks for his composite to s-video adapter, but somehow he tweaked it and it looks fine, aside from the fonts, they are nearly unreadable unless they are large... you probably will have to do some tweaking to get rid of the fuzz, if you are using a s-video to composite converter. if it is straight from the s-video out on the computer to the tv, it may not be fuzzy, but i can say that the longer the cable is, the more signal strength is lost

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 04:15:12 PM »
Somehow I don't think this is what he was looking for.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 07:15:51 AM »
If you want a really long cable run, >have a read of this<.  There are alternatives, such as streaming the media over a LAN, but that would require a network and more than one PC.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos