Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Loading Issues-Generic icon displays- Please help!  (Read 2962 times)

Landonech

Loading Issues-Generic icon displays- Please help!
« on: July 16, 2006, 03:38:32 PM »
First off, if your reading this, thank you.

Everything was fine yesterday. I was working with my usual programs, everything seemed fine.
This morning I turned my computer on, opened Firefox, internet was fine, Photoshop was fine. I go to open my computer and it opens, but nothing loads. I tryed to go to add and remove programs, none of the programs show up, and the "please wait while a list is being populated for you" did not show up, but other parts of it did. It's like, folders and such being to load but don't finish, or something. And also, when I have multiple windows of a certain programs, say messenger or firefox, you know when you have the "2" or "3" next to the name of the application, you would normally click on it and the windows would be displayed above the taskbar and you would be allowed to choose which one you'd like. Nope. nothing happens. The volume icon has disappeared from my system tray. My pictures (when it chooses to load) displays pics in the most awkward way, all distorted and out of place, the thumbnail that is not the actual picture. Notepad and other windows accessories won't open, i just get the windows error sound. For some icons such as my computer and my documents, i get the windows generic icon. Lots of thing seem to be going wrong, and it's freaking me out a bit becuase I live on the computer. From work to music, all my hobbies and such. Please help, anyone. This is killing me.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 03:39:45 PM by Landonech »

GX1_Man

Re: Loading Issues-Generic icon displays- Please h
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 04:07:52 PM »
What malware protection are you using? Do you have a real Windows CD if that is required? What make and model machine and what components? Are you the  only user of the computer? Have you tried a system restore?

Landonech

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 04:23:37 PM »
I am the only user of the computer. I have tried a system restore. Didn't do anything.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 04:25:00 PM »
What malware protection are you using? Do you have a real Windows CD if that is required? What make and model machine and what components?

You missed most of the questions!

Landonech

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 04:52:47 PM »
I use PC - Cillin Internet Sercurity 2006. Its a Dell Dimension 3000 running Windows XP Home edition. These components will not open, get a "failed to initialize", or do not load completely.

Notepad
Administrative Tools
Folder Options
Fonts
Printers and Faxes
Taskbar and Start Menu
My Computer
My Documents
My Pictures

and others.

It seems I have misplaced my Windows CD.

Landonech

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 04:59:44 PM »
Another thing, I exited Firefox and tried to re-open and I got a "failed to initialize". I logged off, and logged back on and it works. This is the most trouble I've with my computer since this Universa Application crap that I had to get rid off. Other than those things I've never had problems. The lastest thing I installed on my pc was Picasa by Google.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 05:11:39 PM »
    Try doing a system restore from an earlier date @ System Tools. (Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools).

Alan <><  ;)
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 07:27:50 PM »
    Without a CD a system restore is the only possibility. No repair installation is possible.

Landonech

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 04:11:06 PM »
    Well what if I found the disc. How would I go around fixing it?

Landonech

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 12:50:26 PM »
    Thank you all very much.

Landonech

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 06:05:38 PM »
    Just a question, will doing this cause me to lose any programs, documents, songs, etc. or will it just reinstall the windows components that come standard when you install windows XP.

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 07:39:41 PM »
    A repair install is usually safe, but data should always be backed up regularly and prior to any major changes, if it is that important.